A Vanderbilt student’s guide to thrifting treasures in Music City

After exploring the thrifting scene across Nashville, we’ve curated the ultimate thrifting guide for budget-conscious and style-savvy college students.
Graphic depicting a girl holding a shirt and a lamp in a thrift store. (Hustler Multimedia/Lexie Perez)

As fashion enthusiasts with a passion for both style and sustainability, we embarked on a quest to uncover the best thrift spots in Nashville. Inspired by the desire to build our dream wardrobes without breaking the bank, we’ve carefully curated a list of our top picks. 

We’ve ordered this list based on price and included the driving distances from campus and general locations to simplify your experience.  

Whether you’re a thrifting pro or just starting out, dive into our guide and make the most of Nashville’s thrift scene to score some affordable and stylish finds.

Sophomore Nia Legba puts her thumbs up after a successful trip to the Goodwill bins, as photographed on March 4, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Daniela Aguilar) (Daniela Aguilar)

Goodwill Outlet Store ($)

Location: South Nashville

Distance from campus: 8 minutes

Going to the Goodwill bins, which are located within the Goodwill Outlet store, is an experience in and of itself. When you first walk in, you’ll be met with crowds of people frantically searching through gigantic piles of clothing and other goods. I suggest going with zero expectations, as you never really know what you will find, and that’s what makes the bins so fun. Plus, with clothing priced by the pound, it’s an incredibly cost-effective way to build your wardrobe or discover unique items at a fraction of the price you’d pay elsewhere. I recommend bringing gloves to avoid getting your hands dirty from the clothing, which isn’t always washed. If you’re up for a bit of an adventure and love the idea of finding hidden treasures in a sea of chaos, the Goodwill bins are a must-visit destination.

Goodwill ($)

Location: South Nashville

Distance from campus: 8 minutes

Goodwill can be notoriously hit or miss,  but this location is huge, and you can find some gems if you’re willing to put in the effort. For under $20, I picked up a vintage Ralph Lauren shirt, a vintage military shirt and a great GORE-TEX North Face jacket. This location is also generally clean and well-organized which is a lifesaver given that some Goodwills make it feel like you’re digging through rubble.

A Music City Thrift aisle, as photographed on Oct. 7, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Daniela Aguilar) (Daniela Aguilar)

Music City Thrift ($)

Location: South Nashville

Distance from campus: 15 minutes

Music City Thrift is a Nashville hotspot for second-hand goods and clothing, with a whopping 5,000 pieces added to their inventory every day. With such a massive influx of items, one might expect chaos, but Music City Thrift stands out as one of the most organized thrift stores I’ve ever visited. The neatly arranged sections and helpful staff make the shopping experience enjoyable.

Southern Thrift ($)

Location: West Nashville; South Nashville

Distance from campus: 8 minutes; 14 minutes

Southern Thrift has two locations in Nashville and offers a little bit of everything from homey plants to men’s shoes. Although it may be a bit further from campus, the South Nashville location is better than the West Nashville location. It not only boasts a better selection but also excels in terms of layout and navigability, making your thrifting experience more enjoyable and efficient. Among the treasures awaiting discovery are high-quality knitwear, embroidered jeans and eccentric ties.

Buffalo Exchange ($$)

Location: Midtown Nashville

Distance from campus: 2 minutes

Right on Elliston Place you’ll find Buffalo Exchange, a quirky chain that buys and sells used clothing. It offers a large selection of trendy pieces from brands such as Levi’s, American Eagle and Princess Polly. Pieces are decently priced (for the most part), making Buffalo very appealing to college students. Plus, they sweeten the deal by giving out super cute stickers with every purchase!

Garage Sale Vintage ($$) 

Location: Downtown Nashville; East Nashville

Distance from campus: 8 minutes; 17 minutes

Garage Sale is a happy medium for fashion fans who don’t want to spend too much money, but also aren’t willing to dig for a couple hours. With two locations in Nashville, Garage Sale sells a wide range of vintage clothing and records at modest prices. But beyond the clothing, the stores themselves feel more like a party than a retail space. Both storefronts are decorated with a fun ‘70s theme and the employees are always spinning a cool vintage record. 

Vanderbilt students at the Hillsboro Vintage Market, as photographed on Sept. 2, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Daniela Aguilar) (Daniela Aguilar)

Hillsboro Vintage Market ($$)

Location: Hillsboro

Distance from campus: 2 minutes

Nestled conveniently in the heart of Hillsboro, this thrift pop-up is a vintage haven, showcasing curated finds from a diverse group of sellers. Open on weekends from 11 a.m. CT to 5 p.m. CT, the bustling atmosphere offers flexibility for students and a chance to explore a wide array of styles, eras and brands. While prices may be a bit on the higher side, the unique pieces and opportunity to negotiate make it worth a visit. You’ll find a great collection of cozy grandpa sweaters and funny graphic tees and, as a bonus, there’s often a boba stand, serving up delicious bubble tea to keep you refreshed during your treasure hunt. 

Savant Vintage ($$$)

Location: South Nashville

Distance from campus: 4 minutes

Walking into Savant is like walking into the home of the world’s coolest hoarder. It is a tiny storefront, but is packed with incredible vintage Americana pieces. They have a huge variety of made-in-USA denim and vintage outerwear, but where they really shine is their selection of Ralph Lauren. They also have beautiful pieces from RRL, Polo Ralph Lauren and Chaps. The best part of Savant, though, is the service. Their staff is incredibly friendly and knowledgeable about vintage clothing. The prices are pretty steep, but if you want to splurge on a vintage piece, this is the place to go.  

Black Shag Vintage  ($$$)

Location: Downtown Nashville

Distance from campus: 15 minutes

Black Shag is on the higher end of vintage stores in Nashville, selling pieces like a vintage Yohji Yamamoto dress for $800. They also have a great selection of vintage leather jackets, which are similarly priced. There are some cheaper brands like Levi’s and Carhartt, but even a simple pair of jeans can run you over $100. Still, it is worth a stop by to check out some really rare and interesting vintage clothing.