Campus Dining extends dining hall hours until midnight for finals week

One dining hall will be open until midnight for students from Dec. 10-14.
Lana English
The entrance to Commons Dining Hall, as photographed on Oct. 4, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Lana English)

One dining hall each night will be open until midnight from Dec. 10-14, coinciding with finals week for the fall semester. Local Java, located in Alumni Hall, will remain open until midnight from Dec. 10-14 as well.

The Pub will be open late on Dec. 10, Commons Dining Hall on Dec. 11, Zeppos Dining Hall on Dec. 12, E. Bronson Ingram Dining Hall on Dec. 13 and Rothschild Dining Hall on Dec. 14. Campus Dining said they will take dietary restrictions into consideration when planning late-night meals to address the lack of late-night allergen-free options on campus.

In addition to the late-night hours, a Midnight Breakfast will be hosted at Rand Dining Hall on Dec. 7 from 11 p.m. – 1 a.m. CST. In a newsletter to the student body, VSG, Vanderbilt Culinary Club, and Campus Dining stated they were looking for volunteers for the Midnight Breakfast to prepare, cook and serve food to students from 8 p.m. – 1 a.m. CST. 

Campus Dining told The Hustler in a statement that the adjusted dining hours are a result of feedback from students indicating a need for more late-night options. According to the statement, Vanderbilt has never extended dining hall hours before — beyond Midnight Breakfasts, and there are currently no plans to extend hours in the future.

Campus Dining collaborated with VSG and the Student Advisory Committee to create the late-night dining plan, aiming to give students studying late at night more options to eat. Dining called midnight a “feasible closure time” and stated that the late-night hours will not extend to Dec. 15-16, the last two days of finals, as the number of students on campus “historically decreases significantly” at this time. 

Junior Rece Roper said he anticipates the extended hours being helpful, citing high-stress levels on campus and a need for support at the semester’s end.

“It is really exciting that Vandy Dining is putting in this extra effort during the most stressful time of the semester for students who need it,” Roper said. “I truly appreciate the extra effort that Vandy Dining is making for every student on this campus, especially during finals week.”

Sophomore Brooke Lytle expressed appreciation for extending Local Java’s hours to accommodate students’ changing schedules.

“I am very grateful for the extended campus dining hours during finals season, especially the Local Java,” Lytle said. “Not having to worry about dining hall hours allows me to focus more on my studies and preparing for exams.”