Vanderbilt Rowing Club women’s team places first in women’s collegiate fours at the Head of the Charles Regatta

The victory at the world’s largest regatta comes after a second place finish last year in the same event.
Vanderbilt Rowing Club’s women’s team competes on the Charles River, as photographed on Oct. 22, 2023. (Photo courtesy of Handly Cameron)

The Vanderbilt Rowing Club’s women’s team emerged victorious in the women’s collegiate fours category at the Head of the Charles Regatta in Boston, Mass. on Oct. 22. The competition is the largest three-day regatta in the world, attracting over 400,000 spectators and 11,000 athletes annually. 

The team finished with a total time of 19 minutes and 39 seconds, eight seconds ahead of the second place team. They competed against 37 other teams in a strong headwind on the 4.8 kilometer course down the Charles River. 

Vanderbilt Rowing Club also sent a team for the men’s collegiate fours and women’s club fours, placing eighth and 28th, respectively. Additionally, Vanderbilt Rowing alumni placed third in the men’s alumni fours category. 

The victory marks Vanderbilt Rowing Club’s third consecutive year medaling at the HOCR. Last year, the women’s team finished second, and in 2021, the men’s team placed first

This year’s winning team consisted of senior Hannah Thomas, senior Julia Ayer, junior Amelia Simpson, sophomore Norah Kolb and coxswain Dillen Cameron, a senior. All but Kolb were part of the team that placed second last year in the same category. Ayer spoke to the pressure and confidence the team felt during this year’s competition following their near-success last year, saying they were regarded as “front-runners” in this year’s race.  

“Winning felt more real and emotional to me, especially as one of three seniors in our boat,” Ayer said.  “It’s such a well-earned and fitting end to our collegiate Charles career, and I couldn’t be prouder of my teammates,” Ayer said. 

This race was Cameron’s third time coxing, or steering, at the HOCR. She said the HOCR is often described as a “coxswain’s race” for its complicated route, and that she felt “the most confident” she has ever been on the route because of her experience over the last two years.  

“This race is incredibly stressful as a coxswain, and to know that I was able to execute my race plan and drive us to Gold was overwhelming. The hugs with my teammates both who were in my boat and those cheering us on was the best feeling,” Cameron said. “We have been working so hard over the past two years to get to this point and I was so lucky to share this success with my teammates.” 

Kolb reflected on the amount of preparation her team made. Kolb said the team practices for over 25 hours each week. 

“This was my first time racing in Boston at HOCR and it was unreal to be part of such a huge win. Not many people understand how hard we train and the amount of time we put into this sport, so it’s really exciting to see our work pay off and to achieve something as big as this,” Kolb said. 

The rowing team will close out the fall season at the Head of the Hooch Regatta in Chattanooga, Tenn. on Nov. 4.