IN PHOTOS: Fall Break 2023

Falls well that ends well — check out how our photography staffers spent their breaks this season.
Isabella Bautista
Colorful leaves dot the Smoky Mountains, as photographed on Oct. 20, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Isabella Bautista)

From 21st Avenue to Boston and everywhere in between, our photography staffers spent their extended weekend off this year traveling, trying new things and taking a break from the rigor of academics on campus.

Abby Hoelscher, Deputy Photography Director

I spent my fall break in my hometown of St. Louis, hopping from one farmers market to another and wishing that I could transfer Commodore Cash onto my debit card. I dug up my old digital camera and put it to use to capture these vintage-inspired stills.

Isabella Bautista, Deputy Life Editor

I also traveled to Pigeon Forge for fall break to explore the Great Smoky Mountains. On the first night, we strolled around The Island, a collection of shops and restaurants right across the street from our hotel. The next day, we took a scenic drive into the national park down the Foothills Parkway, stopping every few minutes to pull off onto an overlook and take in the view. We also got up close and personal with some tame deer and goats at the Smoky Mountain Deer Farm and Exotic Petting Zoo about 20 minutes north of our hotel.

Rachel Koh, Staff Photographer

Stranded at Vanderbilt for fall break, I decided to impulsively stroll through Hillsboro for a study break. My friend and I shared anecdotes as we walked along the storefronts, browsed the pop-up vintage market and enjoyed the Nashville weather. As midterms creep up on us, it was a nice reminder to appreciate the small joys in life.

Amelia Simpson, Staff Photographer

I traveled with the club rowing team to Boston for the Head of the Charles regatta over fall break, where more than 2,500 boats raced over the course of the weekend. This experience made for some exciting spectating and photography and even more thrilling racing when it was our turn to row down the course.

Faiza Islam, Staff Photographer

This Fall Break, a few of my Vanderbilt friends and I took a spontaneous road trip down I-40 to Cummins Falls State Park. It was a very chaotic and cold hike — we got a little lost, soaked from crossing the river and bruised from the boulders — but the gorgeous view of the waterfall was definitely worth it. If you’re planning on visiting anytime soon, don’t be like us — be sure to do your research beforehand!

Bimi Ogungbade, Staff Photographer

I road-tripped with a group of friends to Pigeon Forge, Tenn., this fall break to be in nature and experience the wonderful theme park that is Dollywood. It was refreshing to be out of a city for a few days and spend a day riding roller coasters through the mountains.

Barrie Barto, Photography Director

This fall break mostly consisted of my favorite thing in the world: long walks on the beach. Once the sun went down over the South Carolina coast, I spent time in the kitchen.