Football: Ja’Dais Richard enters transfer portal

Richard was a four-star recruit in the Class of 2022 and projected as Vanderbilt’s top cornerback during spring ball.
Nour Abida
Vanderbilt defense against Florida on Nov. 19, 2022. (Hustler Multimedia/Nour Abida)

On the heels of the Tyrin Lawrence news for Men’s Basketball yesterday, the Football program suffered a blow on Tuesday afternoon as Ja’Dais Richard announced he will enter the transfer portal.

“I want to start off by saying thank you to Coach [Clark] Lea and the whole Vanderbilt staff for taking me in with open arms,” Richard said via Twitter. “To [cornerbacks] coach [Dan] Jackson, I appreciate you for teaching me about life and ball. To my teammates, I love y’all boys. God has a different path for me in my life. I’ll always cherish the brotherhood and memories we made together. With that being said, I will be entering my name into the NCAA transfer portal with three years of eligibility left.”

Richard played in 11 games as a true freshman in 2022, tallying six tackles, one tackle for loss and two pass break-ups. He was particularly impressive late in the season in wins over Kentucky and Florida and had ascended to the top of the cornerback depth chart in spring practice.

A four-star recruit out of high school, Richard chose Vanderbilt over Louisville and Baylor after decommitting from TCU earlier in the recruitment cycle. He enters the portal with three years of eligibility remaining.