Recruiting: Davidson graduate transfer Grant Huffman commits to Vanderbilt

The 6’4″ guard will be a considerable backcourt addition after the departure of Ezra Manjon.
Ophelia Lu
Vanderbilt fans celebrate as photographed on Nov. 10, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Ophelia Lu)

Per reports from various sources, Vanderbilt head coach Mark Byington landed his fourth transfer commitment Thursday night from Davidson graduate Grant Huffman. A 6’4” guard and former team captain at Davidson, Huffman is a confident ball-handler with plenty of experience.

Coming just days after Vanderbilt’s previous transfer addition, Virginia Tech shooting guard MJ Collins, questions were being raised about whether Byington could secure a veteran point guard. Huffman seems to be the answer and will likely make an immediate impact.

Starting in all 32 games for the Wildcats, Huffman averaged 12.8 points, 5.1 rebounds and 5.3 assists per game on 45.3% field goal shooting. In each of his four seasons at Davidson, Huffman improved in every major statistical category and comes to the Commodores with one year of eligibility remaining.

Although Huffman isn’t a great shooter, as he posted a 26.9% three-point percentage and shot 72.3% from the charity stripe in the 2023-24 season, Huffman’s greatest ability is passing. Huffman’s 5.3 assists per game was tied for 36th in the nation, and he is extremely comfortable with the ball in his hand while running an offense. Albeit not flashy, Huffman is excellent at drawing defenses in and making the right decision. 

Huffman works as a point guard with a variety of skill sets around him, gelling well with both spot-up shooters and bigs who can pose as a lob threat. Especially in what will be an up-tempo offense under Byington, Huffman will be pivotal in keeping control and facilitating the offense for Vanderbilt. At the same time, Huffman has proven to have the ability to score as a driver, with 59% of his field goal attempts coming at the rim. While not being a spectacular athlete, Huffman possesses creativity at the rim and a wide arsenal of crafty moves alongside a consistent floater. 

A former preseason A-10 All-Defensive Team selection with good size, Huffman won’t be a liability on defense and is certainly capable of living up to the competition in the SEC. Overall, Huffman’s addition addresses a major need for Vanderbilt and will be a useful component in Byington’s offensive scheme.