IN PHOTOS: Harambee 2023

The African Student Union’s Harambee Showcase this year featured a skit amidst several spectacular performances.
Sean Onamade
The Nigerian flag during the fashion show at the Harambee Cultural Showcase, captured on April 8, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Sean Onamade)

To close out the academic year 2022-2023 school year, the African Student Union’s annual Harambee showcase certainly didn’t disappoint. This year’s theme, “Shintsha Sunday” — shintsha being a Zulu word meaning “swap” — explored mother-daughter relationships in African culture. A welcome respite from the hustle and bustle of the end of the year, Harambee was an evening of entertainment, cultural celebration and togetherness.

This year’s lineup was packed with an array of performances. Among the notable acts were Destiny’s Love Letter, Melanated A Capella, Asya’s dance solo and the annual senior send-off.

The main skit was the centerpiece of the showcase, directed and written by senior Chidi Ndubuisi-Oluavu. It told the story of an African-American mother-daughter pair who switch bodies one fateful Sunday and have to survive a week in the other’s shoes. “Freaky Friday” with an African twist, the skit explored the complexities of mother-daughter dynamics while also showcasing themes of empathy, compassion and understanding. 

In a striking display of confidence and pride, students took to the stage, donning an array of vibrant cultural clothing and waving colorful national flags. The crowd cheered for each model in the fashion show.

Several student-choreographed dances took place throughout the showcase, highlighting the diverse range of talent within the Vanderbilt student body. The Majors and Majorettes, Amapiano, Afro-Fusion and the Eritrean-Ethiopian Student Union also performed, adding to the student talent on display.

The Harambee 2023 Showcase brought a reprieve from academic work before the final stretch of the school year. It was a testament to the passion and dedication of the Black Vanderbilt community.