IN PHOTOS: Hot Photo Summer 2023

Summer through the lens of our photographers.
Sean Onamade
Precious in front of the Ferris Wheel at the Calgary Stampede, as photographed on July 15, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Sean Onamade)

This summer, the Photo staff traveled everywhere from Hong Kong to Calgary. Between balancing internships and heat waves, they took time to photograph their views along the way. We found beauty mid-air in California, and even in our backyards. We hope you enjoy taking them in through our shots, too.

Josh Rehders, Deputy Photography Director

Despite being mostly in hibernation after studying abroad last semester, I still managed to get out and take some photos. In line with the much needed rest over the summer, most of the photos happen to be more sedentary in nature. I spent the summer in Seattle, and visited Lake 22 and Olympic National Park, where I was able to capture some incredible photos. I also had the opportunity of going to see Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour multiple times this summer, and although none of them were on an official photo pass, sometimes the best camera is the one in your hand!

Barrie Barto, Photography Director

Though I was interning in St. Louis this summer, some of my favorite moments happened back in Nashville, Chicago or with my family in South Carolina. I started the summer by watching the Vandy Boys host the regional CWS where they heartbreakingly lost to Oregon and got eliminated. However, I was back a few other times to see both Ed Sheeran, Beyoncé and Sam Smith in concert. I ended my midwestern adventures up in Chicago for Lollapalooza. There I saw 28 artists in four days and the most stunning rainbow over Grant Park. I finished my summer on the coast of South Carolina where 100º days were punctuated by lightning arcing across the coast.

Narenkumar Thirmiya, Former Deputy Photography Director

I did not have much to do this summer, so I went back home to Orlando, Fla. The summer seasons brought along flowers, mangoes and lots of sunlight, so I could not help but take some pictures.

Sean Onamade, Staff Photographer

I spent most of my summer back home in Calgary, Canada. I finally purchased my own camera, so the days were spent hanging out with friends, visiting carnivals and concerts, exploring different cities for cool shots and spending time with family.

Isabella Bautista, Deputy Life Editor

Though I had to bid farewell to the electric nightlife and idiosyncratic music culture of Nashville in May, summer inevitably had its own adventures in store. I attended two concerts at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia — Ed Sheeran’s show for his +–=÷x Tour as well as a joint performance by Billy Joel and Stevie Nicks. I also ventured through New York twice — once with my extended family and a second time to support two of my Vanderbilt friends in their final performance at a summer program held at The Juilliard School. 

The highlight of my summer, however, was finally checking off the top place on my United States travel bucket list: Glacier National Park. My family and I hiked to Avalanche Lake and Hidden Lake, swam in Lake McDonald, drove the famous Going-to-the-Sun Road and even spotted some friendly mountain goats on the cliffs lining the road. The trip was a much-needed respite from the obligations we all had at home, as well as the perfect retreat right before my return to Vanderbilt for the fall semester.

Michael Tung, Staff Photographer

This summer, I visited three new countries I had never been to: Indonesia, Singapore and Japan. I was able to experience some amazing cultural experiences at each of them. I got to work, meet new people, experience the worst food poisoning of my life and see what sushi is actually supposed to taste like. Upon coming home, I also got to see my first ever Broadway show: Moulin Rouge.

Despite all this, there is still nothing that can come close to taking a drive with my dog, Mocha, out into the countryside and doing a photoshoot together!

Ophelia Lu, Staff Photographer

Some of my favorite moments this summer took place in Hong Kong. I first visited the city at age six, and the only memory I have left about that trip was Disneyland. Before coming back to the United States from Shanghai, I took a detour and spent five days in Hong Kong. Granted, the weather was humid and baking, but the mesmerizing cityscape and vividity of life there allowed me to walk without ever feeling tired. Naturally, some of my favorite photos this summer are from this trip to Hong Kong. 

Claire Gatlin, Life Editor

I spent the summer working in Chicago, and really enjoyed the opportunity to explore the city and meet new people. Some of my favorite memories were reading on the beach, going to the street festivals and walking through my neighborhood, Little Italy.

Nafees-ul Haque, Staff Photographer

While many of us soaked up sunsets and sandy shores, my June was spent anchored down on campus. My days were packed with work, but between shifts I would skate down Elliston Ave. or rush to a concert after clocking out. Come July, the cityscapes of New York and Dallas beckoned, offering a refreshing mix of family reunions and sightseeing. As a grand finale, I went to the Tennessee State Fair — dazzling lights, infectious laughter of friends and adrenaline-pumping rides, all under the beautiful backdrop of cotton candy skies.

Sofia Healy, Staff Photographer

I was lucky enough to make an impulsive trip to Skydive. It was a near indescribable experience, and I would recommend it over and over again.