Afrofusion Dance inspired by the 2023-24 African Cup of Nations football competitions, as photographed on March 30, 2024. (Hustler Multimedia/Harmony Wang)
Harmony Wang

IN PHOTOS: Harambee 2024

The African Student Union hosted their annual Harambee showcase, including dances, a fashion show and a play.

The campus came alive with the vibrant sights and sounds of African cultures last Saturday at the African Student Union’s annual Harambee showcase. Living up to its name, which means “pulling together” in Swahili, the event united students from various backgrounds to display their talents and celebrate their rich and diverse heritage. 

This year’s theme — “Authenticity” —  encouraged individuals to peel away pretenses and reveal their true selves through artistic expression. The showcase fostered a deeper understanding and appreciation for the profound depths of African identities within the campus community.

This year’s lineup left the audience laughing and cheering at the beauty of the performances. Notable acts include “Beyond The Lens: The Play,” a spoken word by first-year Tenin Dembele, a fashion show and various dances. 

The showcase was tied together by the comedy, “Beyond The Lens: The Play.” It tells the story of three students finding the missing stolen money from the ASU Gala, or risk being expelled. 

“Beyond The Lens,” an original play written by first-years Anthony Gambrah and Souadou Barryand directed by senior Chidi Ndubuisi-Oluavu, stole the show with its comedic flair and relatable plotline. The story follows three students — Aisha, Idir and T.

“Idir and Aisha represent the different pretenses we put on in hopes of impressing and appealing to our parents, our peers, anyone but ourselves…[and] T is introduced into this story as a contrast,” Gambrah said. “This play forces these three characters together, and throughout their journey, we unveil who they really are as people when the cameras are not fixated on them at all times.”

Another big hit was the Fashion Show, featuring various types of African patterns.

“Fashion is one of the many outlets in which an individual can express themselves as they make a statement about who they are with the garments they are wearing,” sophomore Kel’Veon Kelly, the fashion show co-chair, said. “This same concept was applied to the making of the fashion show as we wanted to display a message of power and assurance while representing African culture.”

I can’t forget to mention the student-choreographed dances like Afrofusion, Beyonce-inspired Majorette and the Ethiopian-Eritrean Dance. Each memorable performance paid tribute to rich traditions while infusing modern creativity. The choreographers’ passion electrified the stage with vibrant cultural expressions.

“Majorette Dance was a special opportunity to highlight Black culture at a PWI,”  sophomore Sydney Brown, a performer of the Majorette, said. “Even though I don’t directly know my African heritage, it was fulfilling to embrace and celebrate so many forms of African culture through fashion and song.”

“Harambee is the perfect showcase of Black talent on campus while allowing other cultures to be apart,” senior Caleb Harrigan, co-president of the Caribbean Student Association, said. 

Harrigan placed continued emphasis on the communal nature of the event. 

“Throughout Harambee you’ll see many leaders on exec boards such as EESA, CSA, BSA and ASU participating. Truly an event everyone enjoys,” Harrigan said.