Plan your week: 4/17-4/23

From packaging dental hygiene kits to Anchor Week’s free food and festivities, make the most of your final weeks on campus before the bitter bite of finals and the sweet release of summer.
Katherine Oung
Zeppos Tower, as photographed on March 11, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Katherine Oung)

These last few weeks leading up to final exams are understandably stressful and busy for students on campus, but it’s also productive to give yourself a break every once in a while between every review session and problem set. Here are some ideas for a change in scenery to make the most out of your spring semester before it ends!

Educational

Feed that hungry Vanderbilt brain of yours with these thought-provoking events.

What: Change++ Final Symposium

When: April 17, 5:30 p.m. CDT

Where: FGH 134 and Atrium

Who: Change++

Why: Stop by and check out the impressive projects created by Change++’s development teams and their nonprofit partners. This showcase will feature nonprofits including Mission Safe, Family to Family Network and Her Future Coalition. This event is eligible for GME credit.

What: The Tooth Fairy: The Importance of DentiSTry

When: April 17, 6:15 p.m. CDT

Where: Kissam MPR

Who: Pre-Dental Society Vanderbilt University, Mu Rho chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.

Why: Come join Vanderbilt’s Pre-Dental Society for an insightful discussion on the importance of dental hygiene and its impact on overall health outcomes. A packaging dental hygiene kits event will also take place.

What: Alcohol Awareness Month Tabling

When: April 20, 11:30 a.m. CDT

Where: Rand Wall

Who: Heal VU, Center for Student Wellbeing

Why: In observance of alcohol awareness month, Meharry Medical College’s DryJanuaryUSA Team is coming out to raise awareness about alcohol usage in college as well as harm reduction techniques when it comes to drinks at party settings. Stop by and grab mocktail taste testers!

What: Project Management in Big Tech & Startups Panel

When: April 20, 6 p.m. CDT

Where: Buttrick 202

Who: Product Space

Why: Don’t miss out on the opportunity to learn more about Project Management and how it could help you in your own life as well as in long-term career goals. This event is eligible for GME credit.

What: Assert Empowerment Self Defense

When: April 23, 11 a.m. CDT

Where: Sarratt 325/327

Who: Project Safe, ASSERT

Why: Train with Project Safe and local women-owned self-defense program ASSERT for a free series of classes covering de-escalation self-defense techniques.

Recreation & Wellness

Move your mind and body with these wellness events.

What: Somatic Healing Space with the UCC: Checking in With Your Body

When: April 17, 12 p.m. CDT

Where: Sarratt 189

Who: University Counseling Center

Why: Join the UCC for a somatic healing space where UCC providers engage in experiential exercises to release physical tension and strengthen the mind-body connection.

What: VUCC Spring Concert 2023

When: April 17, 7 p.m. CDT

Where: Benton Chapel

Who: Vanderbilt University Concert Choir

Why: Join the Vanderbilt University Concert Choir for an unforgettable evening of music at its highly-anticipated spring Concert, complete with refreshments and musical selections such as Mozart’s “Ave Verum Corpus” and Toto’s “Africa.” This event is eligible for GME credit.

What: Design-Thinking (Mental Health Project + Activities)

When: April 19, 7 p.m. CDT

Where: The Won’dry Makerspace (2nd floor)

Who: Design for America – Vanderbilt

Why: Come learn about mental health and human-centered design in order to improve resources on campus! This project is in partnership with HopeLab, DFA Rutgers and CSW.

What: Peabody Carnival

When: April 20, 2 p.m. CDT

Where: Peabody Lawn

Who: Peabody Office of Student Engagement and Well-Being

Why: Destress with the Peabody OSEW at this lively event, featuring Shenanigoats (yoga with baby goats), carnival games and more!

Athletics

With Vanderbilt Bowling recently winning the National Championship, spring sports are in full swing, so come cheer on your fellow Commodores!

What: Vanderbilt Baseball vs. Indiana State

When: April 18, 6 p.m. CDT

Where: Hawkins Field

Who: VandyBoys

Why: Don’t miss your chance to cheer on the VandyBoys one more time as they take on Indiana State before they leave for Knoxville, Tennessee, to continue their impressive spring season.

What: Vanderbilt Women’s Soccer vs. Belmont

When: April 21, 7 p.m. CDT

Where: Vanderbilt Soccer Complex

Who: Vanderbilt Women’s Soccer 

Why: Show up for women’s soccer as the team faces off with the Bruins in one of their last games of the season.

Social

Take a study break with these fun campus events.

What: Final Week Boost (VPB Presents: Anchor Week!)

When: April 17, 12 p.m. CDT

Where: Alumni Lawn

Who: Vanderbilt Programming Board

Why: Stop by Alumni in between your classes to pick up some light goodies – refresh with ice cream and recharge with coffee before you lock into the finals grind.

What: The Vanderbilt Review Launch Party

When: April 20, 7 p.m. CDT

Where: Alumni Hall 201

Who: The Vanderbilt Review

Why: Join in the celebration of art and literature at the Vanderbilt Review Launch Party, marking this year’s annual release of Vanderbilt’s official undergraduate literary and arts journal.

What: Boba & Blankets (VPB Presents: Anchor Week!)

When: April 19, 12 p.m. CDT

Where: Rand Patio

Who: Vanderbilt Programming Board

Why: Enjoy free boba, blankets and other Vanderbilt merchandise on the Rand Patio.

What: Cowboy Hats (VPB Presents: Anchor Week!)

When: April 21, 12 p.m. CDT

Where: Rand Wall

Who: Vanderbilt Programming Board

Why: Stop by the Rand Wall to decorate your own cowboy hat and put your signature flare on this Nashville fashion staple.

What: VSA x PISO SEAzn

When: April 23, 1:30 p.m. CDT

Where: Multicultural Community Space

Who: VSA, PISO

Why: Come celebrate the rich diversity and distinct beauty of Southeast Asia with the Vietnamese Student Association and the Philippine Intercultural Student Organization for their first-annual SEA event. All countries of the region will be represented through carefully selected cuisine, music and activities.

Around Nashville

Need a break from campus? Check out these local events all around town.

What: Donovan Woods

When: April 18, 7:30 p.m. CDT

Where: Exit/In

Who: Donovan Woods and Henry Jamison

Why: Listen to the folk and country music of award-winning, Canadian singer-songwriter Donovan Woods at Exit/In.

What: Spencer Sutherland

When: April 20, 8 p.m. CDT

Where: The Basement East

Who: Spencer Sutherland with JORDY and Michael Minelli

Why: Enjoy a night of heartfelt pop music with Ohio-born singer-songwriter Spencer Sutherland on his “In His Mania Tour.”

What: Mac Ayres

When: April 23, 8 p.m. CDT

Where: Brooklyn Bowl Nashville

Who: Mac Ayres 

Why: Catch the soulful sounds of New York native singer-songwriter Mac Ayres as he continues on his “Comfortable Enough Tour.”

What: David Spade

When: April 21, 8 p.m. CDT

Where: Ryman Auditorium

Who: David Spade 

Why: Ryman Auditorium will host the talented and uproarious David Spade, who will be stopping by as part of the Nashville Comedy Festival and his highly-anticipated comedy tour, “Catch Me Inside.”