IN PHOTOS: Spring Break 2023

Over break, our staffers enjoyed cities and beaches, home and new places.
Ophelia Lu
A view at the Museum of Modern Art visitors from above, as photographed on Mar. 13, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Ophelia Lu)

This spring break, our staffers took to both coasts and across the country to enjoy their time off. From enjoying the sun by the beach to exploring new cities, keep reading to see what they did to relax and recharge.

Ophelia Lu, Staff Photographer

After a 4:30 a.m. CDT wakeup call and braving the Nashville airport the week before spring break, I made it to New York City for my break. It immediately reminded me of a quote from The Great Gatsby.

“The city seen from the Queensboro Bridge is always the city seen for the first time, in its first wild promise of all the mystery and the beauty of the world,” F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote. 

As my Uber driver took me across the bridge, I couldn’t agree more. In the city, I tried to capture the hustle and bustle, the peacefulness, the urban spirit and the people. These metropolitan snapshots are a glimpse into a very different life in a vastly different city. To the people and city in motion: O, New York! 

Barrie Barto, Photography Director

This spring break I decided to try my hand at the bi-coastal lifestyle. I started with a road trip down to Destin, Florida for a beach vacation with my girlfriends from Vanderbilt. We soaked in the UV rays and visited beach towns such as Seaside. 

After a quick stop through Nashville to watch the opening NIT game for Vanderbilt, I flew out to Palm Springs, California for the end of the week. 

Narenkumar Thirmiya, Deputy Photography Director

For spring break, I went back home to Orlando, Florida to relax and rest. I wasn’t really up to much, so I took pictures of plants that were beginning to grow in my backyard garden during the spring season.

Isabella Bautista, Deputy Life Editor

For spring break, I returned home to Easton, Pennsylvania. The day after I came back, I met up with my extended family for lunch at Stone House restaurant in New Jersey. On the way there, I pulled over at a scenic lookout spot along the highway for a nice view of the town below.

Two of the things I missed most about home while at college were being able to see the stars almost every night and having a car I could hop into at any time to drive to my favorite lookout spots. I made sure to do both of these things before spring break was over.

Jorie Fawcett, Life Editor

Before heading north to go home for spring break, my mom and I spent the weekend exploring Nashville like tourists. We went to the Country Music Hall of Fame, had dinner at the L&L Market and ended with a country music medley at the Grand Ole Opry. As Vanderbilt students, it is really easy to get caught up in the “Vanderbilt Bubble,” so I really enjoyed getting to check out some iconic Nashville sites beyond West End Ave. 

Lexie Perez, Graphics Director

For spring break, I stayed by the beach on Anna Maria Island, Florida with my family, a friend and my dog Jovie. We read on the beach, swam in the ocean and listened to lots of good throwback music.