IN PHOTOS: Springing forward

Check out how The Hustler’s staffers spent their spring break this year.
A hiker takes a photo of the Guatemalan flag at the top of the Indian Nose hike, as photographed on March 15, 2024. (Hustler Multimedia/Isabella Bautista)

Josh Rehders, Photography Director

I spent my spring break in Brussels, Belgium and in Amsterdam, Netherlands. I visited with my parents, as a sort of homecoming tour for my mom who had not been back since she graduated high school in Brussels. I visited places like the Grand Place, the St. Hubert Galleries, the European Union Parliament and took a cruise in the canals of Amsterdam. It was warm and sunny on the day I spent in Amsterdam, giving me a taste of spring.

Abby Hoelscher, Deputy Photography Director

For the first few days after classes got out for spring break, I stayed on campus and had the honor of seeing Olivia Rodrigo’s “GUTS” world tour with opener Chappell Roan. I then flew to New York to visit my older sister and packed a full trip of adventure into a few short days. The last leg of my spring break was finally spent with both family and friends in my hometown of St. Louis. My digital camera was a must-have in my tote bag as I spent my time exploring everything from my ultimate favorite coffee shop three days in a row, an ice creamery my mom had never visited and the zoo that made up a great deal of my childhood memories.

Ophelia Lu, Deputy Photography Director

I went skiing and snowboarding for the first time in Colorado. Despite falling ungracefully on the slopes approximately 10 billion times the first day I spent snowboarding, I picked up skiing fairly quickly and was able to snap some photos of the beautiful peaks. I took a detour stop in Washington on the way back and visited the monuments at night. Spring break was a much-needed rest.

Kasey Kautz, Deputy Photography Director

After my first trip to the beaches of Florida, I now see why it is one of the top spring break destinations. A week full of relaxing in the sun, swimming in the ocean, seeing sea turtles and manatees and eating good food is exactly what stressed-out college students need for their week off. After spending the majority of my time laying out on the beach or attempting to body surf, I would definitely call myself a beach boy.

Katherine Oung, Data Director

My digital camera and I traveled to Europe for the first time this spring break with my ENGL3898 class, Special Topics: The Divided Metropolis. Together, we visited Parisian mainstays from Sainte-Chappelle to Shakespeare and Company to several listening lounges, all while learning how the architecture, public infrastructure and history shape a city, its culture and its people.

Isabella Bautista, Deputy Life Editor

During spring break, I traveled to Guatemala with an organization on campus for a medical outreach trip. We stayed in San Pedro La Laguna, a town on Lake Atitlan and drove to Santa Lucia to set up pop-up clinics for the local communities. In our free time, we hiked the Indian Nose — a nearby mountain — at sunrise, kayaked on Lake Atitlan and roamed the artisan shops of San Juan La Laguna, a neighboring town. It was certainly an experience to remember and one that my camera ensured no one would forget.

George Albu, Staff Photographer

For some, staying on campus might be considered unbearable. I took more of a “when in Rome” mindset, taking the opportunity to further explore Nashville’s more touristy district called 12 South. From car spotting to boutique hopping, the experience was so pleasant that I continued to visit multiple days throughout the break. A favorite of mine was an outdoor stand selling vinyl records on a bright weekend. I expected to only see incredibly niche artists in their collection but was pleasantly surprised to see both Jim Croce and Michael Jackson featured. The variety of murals also drew me into 12 South since my visit a few months ago, with brightly colored walls lining many alleyways in the bustling district. Overall, walking through 12 South near Belmont University’s campus was a splendid experience.

Alice Tang, Staff Photographer

This spring break, I went on a three-day trip to Houston for the Career Center’s Houston Energy & Tech Trek. My group explored downtown Houston on the first day and visited the POST Houston for lunch. The skyline views from the POST Houston’s roof were amazing, and as an environmental and sustainability studies minor, I was particularly impressed by the fact that it was a green roof. Of course, I also had a great time networking with various energy and tech-related companies like the American Bureau of Shipping (a shipping industry regulator), Microsoft and Alpha Generation. I had an amazing aerial view of the Cumberland River on the way back to Vanderbilt and was happy to see many flowers in full bloom when I returned to campus. The flowers on campus certainly make the fact that school is starting again just a little bit better.

Isaac Ayala Vega, Staff Photographer

This spring break, I returned home to Oregon to visit my family. Along the way, I helped give my friend a send-off in Portland before he went off to the military and visited a rainforest I spent a lot of time in as a kid, the Silver Fall Cascades of Oregon. Through the bittersweet feeling of a return, I realized just how much I’ve grown and matured since I departed for university, which made me appreciate those who have given me home.

Alondra Moya, Staff Photographer

Over this spring break, I traveled to Naples, Fla., and then Providenciales in the Turks and Caicos. The vacation was very relaxing and enjoyable, as I spent a lot of time out on the beach swimming, tanning and photographing the beautiful island. I also spent quality time with my mom and best friend who joined me on the trip. A highlight of the trip was going jet skiing and exploring northern Caicos.

Royce Yang, Staff Photographer

This spring break featured a self-guided local excursion to some pleasant sights that lurked just beyond the confines of our campus routine. From idyllic expanses of sylvan landscape to urban scenes of modern vibrance between steel and concrete, Nashville exuded the constant allure of its dynamic embrace.