IN PHOTOS: Rising indie star Ella Jane fills The End with effervescent vibes

The alternative singer-songwriter lends her airy vocals and soft indie rock sound to Nashville for one night.
Eigen Escario
Ella Jane performing at The End, as photographed on Feb. 15, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Eigen Escario)

When indie pop artist Ella Jane announced “The Marginalia Tour,” I was extremely upset when I did not read the word Nashville on the tour date list. I was first introduced to her music during her rise to TikTok fame back in the quarantine days of 2020. She announced a second leg near the end of last semester, and I have been anticipating the show ever since.

Even before the show began, I knew it was about to exceed all my expectations. The air crackled with excitement as indie pop artist Ella Jane was set to perform at The End to an intimate crowd inside the moody bar. Upon arriving, my friends and I noticed a couple taking pictures outside the front of the venue. After a quick conversation, we learned they were Ella’s parents who came to show their support.

The show started with the acoustic musings of alternative pop-rock artist Caroline Culver. She was warmly received by the audience, which we learned was full of friends and loyal supporters. They cheered for her as she belted out some of her top hits.

The crowd of crop tops and mullets chattered excitedly as guitarist Nicole Rae and drummer Quentin Casa walked on stage. Its anticipation grew to a roar as Jane walked out in a dark olive silk tank top. She played a couple of songs from her repertoire, notably her popular hit “bored&blind” from her 2021 freshman album “THIS IS NOT WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE!”

Her sophomore album “Marginalia,” which came out in 2022, has the edge of youth while serving as the coming-of-age soundtrack about exploring oneself in the big city. It mirrors her journey from being lonely in college to an explosive artist in NYC. Self-discovery and introspection are incredibly potent themes in her performances of “Party Trick” and “Warhol.” Concert attendees swayed along to her smooth delivery of emotionally scathing lines.

As the show wrapped up, Ella Jane dazzled the crowd with a cover of Paramore’s “Ain’t It Fun,” which elevated the energy in the venue as everyone started dancing and bopping. She ended the show with her song “Calling Card” but quickly came back out for an encore with a crowd favorite and her most popular song: “nothing else i could do.” 

It was a magical experience to hear a room full of people passionately echo the song that I used to listen to alone in my room while scrolling on TikTok — a fever dream brought to vibrant reality.