IN PHOTOS: November Sports Special

Showcasing our favorite frames from sports at home so far this month.
Arianna Santiago
Maxwell Worship hoists aloft the American Flag as the team prepares to enter the stadium, as photographed on Nov. 5, 2022. (Hustler Multimedia/Arianna Santiago)

After a short away-game hiatus, the ‘Dores are once again playing on home turf. The soccer regular season came to a close, just in time for cool fall temperatures and equally cool Memorial Magic action. The football team put on a strong performance against South Carolina, and the baseball team hit Hawkins for a scrimmage game in the November sun. Check out some of our favorite frames below.

Soccer

The Commodores dominated over the Mississippi State Bulldogs on Oct. 23, winning 2-1 in the only Vandy home game of the week. After receiving recognition before this Senior Day game, Alex Kerr scored the first goal of the match. Despite a 6-2 shot difference, Vanderbilt and Miss State entered the second half tied at 1-1.

The team was unable to capitalize on four corners, two Amber Nguyen shots and two Peyton Cutshall headers. Then, in the 75th minute, Alex Wagner and Hannah McLaughlin connected for a goal. A stout defensive stand in the last 10 minutes sealed the 2-1 Commodore victory.

The Commodores upset No. 5-seeded Clemson in the first round of the NCAA DI Women’s Soccer Championship, and will face the No. 4-seeded Northwestern Wildcats on Friday, Nov. 18.

Football

The team donned special helmets for this Salute to Service Game, as photographed on Nov. 5, 2022. (Hustler Multimedia/Arianna Santiago)
The team donned special helmets for this Salute to Service Game, as photographed on Nov. 5, 2022. (Hustler Multimedia/Arianna Santiago) (Arianna Santiago)

On Nov. 5, the Commodores returned to First Bank stadium after a bye week to face the South Carolina Gamecocks. The first drive of the game ended with an interception by AJ Swann, which South Carolina converted for a touchdown. Swann and company responded with a five-play drive which finished with a 66-yard TD reception by Quincy Skinner Jr—the first of Skinner Jr.’s career. The first quarter also saw a shoving match between the two teams, resulting in offsetting penalties.

After the Gamecocks answered with their own 60+ yard TD reception, Vanderbilt’s Ray Davis responded with a 25-yard run. However, some more Commodore missteps (namely a missed 44-yard field goal, dropped pass and fumble) left the ‘Dores down 17-7 at the end of the first quarter. Swann and Skinner Jr. then connected again for a touchdown, and the offense seemed to find its groove again.

Skinner Jr. finished the night with 79 receiving yards, and Davis hit a career-high 167 rushing yards. After QB Mike Wright replaced the injured Swann, Vanderbilt outscored South Carolina 13-7. But it wasn’t enough to make up for the mistakes of the first half, and Vanderbilt suffered its fifth loss of the season with a final score of 38-27.

This loss seemed to spark something though. The following week, the Commodores defeated then-No. 5 Kentucky, clinching their first SEC victory in 26 games.

Men’s basketball

The men’s basketball team hosted Memphis in its home opener on Nov. 7. The Commodores scored just 6 points in the first 11 minutes of play, setting the tone for the rest of the game. Aside from a fast-break conversion and spirited dunk from Emmanuel Ansong, Vanderbilt was unable to find momentum in the first half.

“I think them [Memphis] playing with the lead, they were comfortable for most of the game,” head coach Jerry Stackhouse said. “We didn’t really put that single-digit pressure on them that can change the game for you.”

The Commodores outscored the Tigers 45-42 in the second half, but it was not enough. A roster without Scotty Pippen Jr. struggled on the hardwood, with Tyrin Lawrence leading the night with just 14 points. For the first time since 2016, the team lost their home opener, falling 76-67.

Unfortunately for the home crowd, the second game of the year against Southern Miss on Nov. 11 started as slowly as the second. Vanderbilt managed to keep the score close in the first half and entered the locker room with a manageable 29-25 deficiency. However, the team failed to find the basket, finishing the night 3 for 25 on three-pointers and 21 for 64 from the field overall. 

“Tonight was a disappointing loss for us,” Jerry Stackhouse said of the 60-48 final score. “Kind of dug ourselves into a little bit of a hole. We gotta perform better.”

The Commodores traveled to Philadelphia to face Temple on Nov. 15. They put up a fight, but ultimately lost in overtime, 72-68.

Women’s basketball

Fortunately, the women’s basketball team have not shared in their male counterparts’ struggles. They defeated Tarleton State after pulling off  a comeback win against Columbia two days prior and sealed their first 4-0 start since the 2014-2015 season. Vanderbilt opened the game against Tarleton State with a 9-0 lead and held them to just 23.8% (5 for 23) shooting in the first half.

After posting a 33-18 lead at the half, the Commodores outscored the Texans 30-20 in the third quarter. Graduate transfer Marnelle Garraud hit a 3-pointer at the start of the fourth quarter, and led the team with 16 points on the day. Vanderbilt continued to dominate and closed out the night with a resounding 84-48 victory.

The Commodores will host Morehead State at home on Friday, Nov. 18.

The VandyBoys played their annual fall scrimmage, the David Williams Fall Classic, on Nov. 13. The cool temperatures were rivaled by the cool pitching performances of Sam Hliboki and Greyson Carter for the Black team, and Jack Anderson and Cole Regen for the Gold team. 

After five scoreless innings, outfielder TJ McKenzie struck a two-run homer in left field to put the Gold team in the lead. Two Black team stars were Ryan Ginther, who struck out seven from the mound and allowed no runs in a nine-out hold, and JD Thompson, who pitched two shutout frames. 

Vanderbilt will open their 2023 season on Feb. 17 at the College Baseball Showdown in Arlington, Texas.