Springtime, but make it fashion

Spring fashion trends to prepare you for a Hot Girl Summer
Now that its warm out and vaccines are allowing more of us to get outside, its time to whip out that Spring wardrobe. (Hustler Multimedia/Emery Little)

Rolling out of bed in the morning and putting on real pants (like, ones that actually have a button and a zipper) is hard enough, but crafting a whole coherent outfit is a whole other level of effort. Most mornings, we’d all rather hit snooze. With the weather getting warmer and Hot Girl Summer right around the corner, I’ve been trying to up my fashion game. I’ve noticed some trends going around on campus and the Internet and have compiled a list of everything you need for those perfect spring looks. Shop away!

Mom Jeans

As the Gen Z TikTokers warned you, skinny jeans are out, mom jeans (or dad jeans, if you’d rather) are in. I never thought I’d be able to part from my favorite skinny jeans, but I’ve got to admit, I’m really enjoying the comfier fit of my new mom jeans. They’re less constricting and I love the looser fit at the ankles, especially when paired with booties. Wearing them makes me feel like I need to also wear narrow sunglasses and twist my hair back in a claw clip, but honestly, I’m not mad at that vibe.

My favorite mom jeans are the Wedgie Icon Fit High Waist Jeans from Levi’s (don’t ask me why they chose to name them that). You can also check out the Mom Fit Jeans from Zara or the Mom Jeans from American Eagle. If you prefer a higher waist like I do (I curse the people trying to bring low-rise pants back), the Highest Waist Mom Jeans from American Eagle are a good option.

Layered/Chunky Necklaces

Back in middle school, I had one of those stacked necklaces from Claire’s that made it look like you were wearing three separate necklaces, but they were really all connected in the back—feel free to shudder in second-hand embarrassment. I’ve seen a lot of cool jewelry on my walks to class, and I was inspired to layer a bunch of my necklaces. Currently, I’m really into wearing a thin chain, a chunky chain and a gold bar necklace, but I love how anyone can really express their personality with their jewelry choices. 

My current necklace rotation consists of chains from a boutique in my hometown and random necklaces that I’ve gotten as gifts, but I’ve been perusing the Internet for some new bling. Etsy has a ton of options, and I’m currently ogling this chunky gold choker with a toggle clasp, this simple initial necklace and this summer camp-y beaded “Fun Flirt” pearl necklace (which is definitely chill-girl influencer-approved).

https://www.tiktok.com/@emmachamberlain/video/6948810192226209030?lang=en&is_copy_url=0&is_from_webapp=v1&sender_device=pc&sender_web_id=6942502424889296390

High Neck Ribbed Tank Tops

These are pretty basic but a total staple in my spring wardrobe. They’re incredibly versatile, since you can dress them up or down depending on the vibe you’re going for. You can pair them with jeans, flowy shorts, a midi skirt, joggers or really any bottoms you want. Personally, I love the way my necklaces pop on the backdrop of a high neck tank, plus the extra coverage is key for covering bra straps, if that’s important to you (if so, I definitely recommend a racerback).

I’m loving these cropped Ribbed Tops from Zara and the Sunday Best Honor Tank from Aritzia, which is a little less cropped than the Zara ones, if that’s your vibe. Madewell’s Westville Tank Top is another option and is surprisingly affordable. If you’re going for a super-cropped look, Free People’s High Neck Ribbed Crop is a good move. If you want full coverage, Banana Republic has a long Ribbed Racer Tank that comes in several colors.

Basically, these three trends make up my go-to outfit for the spring, based on what I’ve seen people wearing around Nashville and on social media. Consider me #influenced, I guess. Leave your favorite spring fashion trends in the comments and help me spice up my wardrobe some more!