10 questions with Robert Schutt, the student running for TN House of Representatives

Twenty-one-year-old Vanderbilt student Robert Schutt is currently a junior, but he’s planning to graduate a year early. He’s the Editor of Orbis, an environmentally-focused student publication. That’s not all, though – he is also a candidate for public office. Though he is the very minimum age required to run, Robert is pouring his time and energy into a bid for the 95th District seat in the Tennessee House of Representatives. He discusses his ambitious attempt in the video above. The Hustler sat down with him to get to know the person behind the candidate.

Vanderbilt Hustler: What is your dream job?

Robert Schutt: That’s a big question. I don’t know. I definitely want to work in environmental law, or consulting; something where I can have an impact on what I’m passionate about, being agriculture and the environment.

VH: What is your favorite show on Netflix?

RS: I really don’t watch Netflix… but Louis C.K. – is serious.

VH: What are your top three Munchie Mart selections?

RS: Kind Bars, probably some Chobani. And I guess I should say my guilty pleasure is definitely the blueberry muffin.

VH: What is your favorite class that you’ve taken at Vandy?

RS: My favorite was either History of Western Architecture – art history classes are the best – or Theories of Culture in Human Nature. I’ve used that knowledge for every other class that I’ve taken.

VH: Do you have any secret or hidden talents?

RS: No. But I do have a propensity for losing things… I’m just really good at it.

VH: What is the first thing on your bucket list?

RS: I want to travel in Southeast Asia some more. Or maybe in Jordan, Petra. I’d like to see that, it’s like the cliffs there. It’s one of the wonders of the world. In fact, I’d like to see the seven wonders of the world.

VH: What kind of music do you listen to?

RS: Americana. Bluegrass. Folky stuff, definitely.

VH: What’s your favorite Nashville spot – to hang out, eat, or maybe get coffee?

RS: One of my favorites, if I’m going to get away, is going to be walking over to Scarritt-Bennett because it’s just a couple blocks away. Or Headquarters Coffee on Charlotte Avenue. It’s just tiny, and you never see anybody there. That’s my secret spot.

VH: What one thing would you change about Vandy?

RS: Gosh, I don’t know. That one’s hard. I would change the way the administration is structured, maybe their priorities, to put a little more focus on sustainability. Use the leverage we have as a big university to promote those sorts of things on campus.

VH: What will you miss most when you leave here?

RS: I mean, the people – probably that’ll be the first thing that I miss. But just Nashville in general is a pretty cool town.