Professor Carol Swain announces retirement

Dr. Carol Swain announced that she will not be returning for the 2017-18 academic year, retiring from her position as a political science and law professor at Vanderbilt. Swain announced this retirement on her blog, “Be the People,” on Jan. 23.

“Retirement for me will not mean a rocking chair,” Swain wrote in her blog post. “It will be an opportunity for me to impact more people across the globe. I am confident God will place me where I can have the greatest impact. What will I do next? I anticipate spending my time writing, speaking, and making myself available for my next assignment. Of course, I will miss the students and the rhythm of campus, but I will not miss what American universities have allowed themselves to become.”

Swain, a notable African-American conservative, has been a professor at Vanderbilt for 17 years (since 1999), and has written/edited six books. Swain’s controversial stances on race relations and Islam have attracted national media attention on several occasions. Last year, one of Swain’s remarks on race relations sparked a petition to circulate demanding her resignation due to her “discriminatory practices” in the classroom, and her “bigotry, intolerance, and unprofessionalism.” She previously taught at Princeton University.

Sarah Friedman, Former Editor in Chief

V
Vernei Vanders

Owen, so I guess you think the West understands Islam (since you believe the opposite is possible)? “Islam will never understand the freedoms that we live and die to preserve” Perhaps Dr. Swain was just discussing the difficulty of cross cultural interactions.

O
Owen Hanna

Is it really fair to just call her stances on race relations and Islam “controversial”? Anybody with a basic understanding of Islam can immediately tell that her stances are irrational, Islamophobic, disturbingly reductionist–basically flat-out false. There is a very important difference between having controversial views and spreading lies + fear-mongering. When Carol Swain said “Islam has a problem with the West. Islam will never understand the freedoms that we live and die to preserve” that is demonstrably false. You can have controversial views on how we should deal with the problem of Islamic terrorism, or on how far the state should invade into citizens’ privacy for public safety. But there is a major difference between a controversial stance and a made-up, inflammatory claim. Please have some journalistic integrity and edit this piece. Please replace “controversial stance on Islam” with “Islamophobia” or something like that. It is dangerous to keep on treating these far-right snowflake liars with kid-gloves.