Juvenile patient escapes custody at Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital, later found and arrested in Georgia

The patient, identified as Quandre Beasley, entered a waiting vehicle and prompted the driver to threaten EMS personnel with a firearm.
Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital sign, as photographed on April 12, 2022. (Hustler Multimedia/Barrie Barto)

Quandre Beasley, a 16 year-old juvenile patient at Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, escaped custody while being transported from the Davidson County Juvenile Justice Center to the hospital. He was found in Cartersville, Georgia, at 5 a.m. CDT on April 12 and placed in custody at the Fulton County Sheriff’s Office

The police report states that Beasley, after reporting experiencing seizures at the Juvenile Detention Center, was transported to the hospital in an ambulance accompanied by a detention employee. Upon their arrival at 9:15 p.m. CDT, Beasley ran from the ambulance to a waiting Chevrolet Avalanche with the employee chasing after him on foot. The vehicle’s driver indicated that he was armed to the employee, who did not pursue him. Beasley fled in the Avalanche and was later arrested at a traffic stop in Georgia along with an accomplice, 22-year-old Tunisia Carey.

The Vanderbilt community was notified of the escape and eventual capture of Beasley in a series of AlertVU emails from VUPD on April 12, the first of which came at around 12:30 a.m. CDT, and the second of which came at around 9:30 a.m. CDT. VUPD received notice of the escape from Metro Nashville Police Department (MNPD) at 9:27 p.m. CDT on April 11, per the first email. The emails referred to the incident as an “aggravated assault” and detailed safety reminders.

“Please remember to always be vigilant and utilize our campus safety resources such as VandyRide and walking escorts,” the second email reads. “Vanderbilt community members are encouraged to download the VandySafe app.” 

According to a WKRN news report, Beasley freed himself of restraints at his wrist and ankles, allowing him to run toward the SUV. MNPD said in their report that, at the time of Beasley’s escape, he was wearing a neck brace due to being injured late Saturday night after he jumped out of a moving, stolen 2019 Ford Raptor pickup truck on Dickerson Pike at Ben Allen Road.

After discovering the Avalanche, MNPD officers received a report of a possibly related carjacking of a gold Malibu at the Preakness apartment complex on Bell Road. Authorities located the Malibu unoccupied and crashed in the 1200 block of Rural Hill Road.

Beasley and Carey will be returned to Nashville in the coming days, according to the police report. The investigation continues in identifying other accomplice(s) to Beasley’s escape.

VUPD referred The Hustler to MNPD, which did not respond to The Hustler’s request for comment.