PODCAST: Thoughts on Student Attendance Policy, Previewing Big Blue

This week on the Hustler Sports 30 Podcast, Justin Hershey and Bryce Smith debrief Vanderbilt’s new policy restricting student attendance during Commodores Care week and check-in with both Vanderbilt basketball teams.
Hustler Sports 30 Podcast logo
The Hustler Sports 30 is a weekly podcast hosted by sports editor Justin Hershey and deputy sports editors Sam Curtis and Andrew Wilf. (Hustler Multimedia/Emery Little)

On Episode 16 of the Hustler Sports 30 podcast, sports editor Justin Hershey and deputy sports editor Bryce Smith check-in with both Vanderbilt men’s and women’s basketball, as both squads have started SEC play with 1-1 records. But first, they give their perspective on Vanderbilt’s newly instituted Commodores Care week that restricts students from attending athletics events until at least Jan. 24. They then dive into an ugly men’s loss to South Carolina on Saturday that featured a season-high 19 turnovers for Jerry Stackhouse’s Commodores before previewing No. 18 Kentucky’s visit to West End. They also discuss Shea Ralph’s introduction to SEC play that has featured a gritty win over Arkansas before a road defeat in Starkville, Mississippi.

Further Reading:

HERSHEY: University athletics attendance policy alienates students, its most important fans“: By not permitting students into athletic events until at least Jan. 24, Vanderbilt University is failing what should be its most prized and important constituency of fans: students.

Vanderbilt falls short against South Carolina, 72-70, losing first SEC home game“: The Gamecocks outshot the Commodores from the field 55 percent to 39 percent on Saturday, and Vanderbilt fell flat on a last-second opportunity to win the game.

SEC Basketball Power Rankings: Highlighting Every Team’s Most Valuable Player“: The SEC is a wild rat-race of a conference where up is down and down is up; accordingly, we decided to focus on the best players instead of the head-scratching results.

Students criticize Spring 2022 COVID-19 protocol changes“: Many of the policies have faced backlash and sent Vanderbilt students looking for answers.