Vanderbilt reports 100 COVID-19 cases, highest weekly case count

The university had an overall test positivity rate of 1.54 percent from Oct. 19 to Oct. 25.
Aerial shot of Kirkland hall with trees. (Hustler Multimedia/Emily Gonçalves)

Vanderbilt reported 100 positive COVID-19 cases out of 6,498 tests, a test positivity rate of 1.54 percent, from Oct. 19 to Oct. 25. This last week marks the highest weekly total of positive cases this semester, per the university dashboard.

Thirty-one undergraduate and graduate students tested positive Oct. 23, the date with the highest positive case totals this semester, according to the dashboard.

Between Oct. 12 and Oct. 18, the university reported 44 positive results out of 6,587 tests—a positivity rate of 0.67 percent, the highest rate since the week of Aug. 31-Sept. 6.

As of publication, Davidson County has not yet published its weekly counts on their dashboard. However, the county had 1,572 positive tests between Oct. 13 and Oct. 19. The week prior, Oct. 6-Oct. 12, resulted in 1,152 positive cases.

The 100 COVID-19 cases follow a school-wide email sent on Oct. 23 by Provost Susan Wente reminding students to “slow the spread.”

“When we returned to campus this year, we all made a commitment to protect one another – this includes adhering to the university’s no visitor policy, limiting trips away from campus to only those that are essential, such as seeking medical care or buying groceries, and other policies,” Wente said.

Wente stated that if case numbers continue to increase, the university would be forced to use its satellite center, the Scarritt Bennett Center, for isolation and close contact quarantine. The Scarritt Bennett Center is an off-campus facility with single rooms and a private bath, a change from the apartment style facilities currently being used for isolation and quarantine.

In that email statement, Wente said the university would take a number of steps to slow the spread down, such as enhancing testing efforts and providing activities and programming consistent with safety protocols. Wente also urged community responsibility.

“We are responsible for protecting ourselves, each other, and especially those most vulnerable,” Wente said.