Former Gov. Bill Haslam joins Vanderbilt faculty

The former TN Governor will be a distinguished visiting professor of political science this fall

Downtown Nashville, Tennessee on Saturday, January 20, 2018.  (Photo by Claire Barnett // The Vanderbilt Hustler)

Downtown Nashville, Tennessee on Saturday, January 20, 2018. (Photo by Claire Barnett // The Vanderbilt Hustler)

Avery Muir, Copy Editor

Former Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam has joined the Vanderbilt faculty as a distinguished visiting professor of political science this fall. 

The former governor joined the faculty as a part of the political science department. Haslam, a Republican, served as mayor of Knoxville prior to his two-term governorship from 2011 to 2019.

Haslam has joined Dean of the College of Arts and Science John Geer and political science professor Jon Meacham to teach the popular upper-level political science course, “Leadership.” The course attempts to rise above partisan rancor and facilitate a discussion on how political actors’ actions and decisions can encourage, inspire and change the course of a nation. 

While Meacham and Geer provide the historical context and political theory, Haslam has the unique ability to speak to the day-to-day reality of what leadership means as an elected official. 

“This class will be a great forum for a lively discussion about leadership in today’s political environment, understood in a historical context,” Haslam said in a Sept. 3 press release. “I look forward to sharing some observations and lessons learned from serving as a mayor and governor.”