Binge 2018’s best shows and movies from the Golden Globes

On January 6th, the 76th annual Golden Globe Awards were broadcast live from Beverly Hills. Hosted by actress Sandra Oh and actor Andy Samberg, the American film and television industry was celebrated for its standout productions of the year. While the night did not come without surprises, there is much to be learned about… Here are some of the biggest takeaways:

Television

The Americans: Even though it saw the screen for the final time this past May, this historical thriller went out with a bang, taking home the award for Best Television Series – Drama. Set during one of America’s most vulnerable periods, the Cold War era, this FX show explores what happens when two Soviet spies pretending to be an American couple live next door to an FBI agent.

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story: The second season of FX’s American Crime Story was awarded Best Television Limited Series. This mini series tells the story of fashion designer Gianni Versace’s murder. Darren Criss, the former Glee star who plays the role of Versace’s assassin, won Best Performance by an Actor in a Limited Series. With only nine episodes in the season, you’ll want to add this to your binge list.

Killing Eve: BBC’s newest thriller, based on a series of novellas, portrays the relationship between a British counterterrorism agent, played by Sandra Oh, and a psychotic murderer as they develop an obsession with each other. This critically acclaimed drama has already been renewed for a second season, which is set to premiere in the U.S. in September of this year. While Oh may have won the award for Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series – Drama, and made history doing so, her parents were the ones who truly stole the show.

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel: This Amazon original has been a hot topic since its premiere in 2017. Set in New York City in the late 1950s, Amy Sherman-Palladino’s latest hit follows housewife Midge Maisel as she finds her niche in stand-up comedy. Its award for Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series – Musical or Comedy, thanks to Rachel Brosnahan’s hilarious leading role, was accompanied by nominations for Best Television Series – Musical or Comedy and Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series.

Film

Bohemian Rhapsody: While all eyes were on A Star Is Born, the Freddie Mercury biopic pulled some of the night’s biggest upsets. Winning the Golden Globe in both of its nominated categories, Best Motion Picture – Drama and Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama, this film made it clear that it should be at the top of everyone’s list.

Green Book: This film, based on a true story, ended the night with the most number of awards, including Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy, Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role, and Best Screenplay. Mahershala Ali, one of the featured winners, plays a renowned pianist who tours the American South with his driver, a former nightclub bouncer. The unique friendship between these two unlikely companions makes it a must-see of the season.

Vice: Christian Bale’s uncanny portrayal of former Vice President Dick Cheney was well-deserving of his win for Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy. His acceptance speech, while one of the more controversial moments of the night, included a worthy shout out to his makeup artist for his visual transformation. With nominations for Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy, Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role, Best Director and Best Screenplay, this decorated political comedy might be right up your alley.

Roma: While this was one of the more unfamiliar titles on the list of nominees, its wins for Best Director and Best Motion Picture – Foreign Language drastically changed this by the end of the night. Roma, filmed in completely black and white, tells the life story of a housekeeper who lives in with a family in Mexico City. This acclaimed film can easily be viewed on Netflix.

Photo from goldenglobes.com