Men’s Basketball: USC transfer Kijani Wright commits to Vanderbilt

The former McDonald’s All-American will bring some much needed size to the Commodores’ renovated squad.
Nikita Rohila
Fans cheer on the men’s basketball team at Bridgestone Arena, as photographed on March 9, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Nikita Rohila)

Head coach Mark Byington officially evened the scales on May 11, adding his ninth transfer commitment after previously losing nine players from last year’s squad to the portal. The newest addition is forward Kijani Wright, who stands at 6’ 9”. Wright announced his commitment via Instagram.

Wright will add a much needed paint presence following the departure of starting forward Ven-Allen Lubin, who averaged 12.3 points and 6.3 rebounds per game in his lone season as a Commodore.

After two quiet seasons at USC, where he averaged 2.9 points and 2.2 rebounds in 10.8 minutes per game, the former high-school standout will take his talents to West End. Wright’s exceptional rebounding ability will give him the chance to make an immediate impact.

A former McDonald’s All-American, Wright played high school basketball at Sierra Canyon in Chatsworth, Ca., one of the most prestigious high school basketball programs in the nation. Thanks to his aforementioned rebounding skills and touch in the paint, Wright was ranked as the No. 7 power forward and the No. 59 overall recruit in the class of 2022, per 247Sports.