Women’s Tennis: Commodores blanked by Georgia and Tennessee

The Black and Gold have now lost four in a row to end the regular season.
Vanderbilt Women’s Tennis dropped weekend matches to Georgia and Tennessee. (Vanderbilt Athletics)

No. 30 Vanderbilt (11-9, 6-7) fell to below .500 in conference play after dropping matches to No. 6 Georgia (17-4, 12-1) and No. 17 Tennessee (17-6, 9-4). Having narrowly lost last weekend to Florida and South Carolina, the Commodores are now on their longest losing streak of the season at four games.

Vanderbilt opened the weekend with a trip to Athens to face the Georgia Bulldogs (16-4, 11-1), the top team in the SEC standings. Commensurate with their status, the Bulldogs took the opening doubles point 2-1 against the Commodores. The lone Vanderbilt victory was the pair of Celia-Belle Mohr and Anessa Lee, who bested No. 9 Aysegul Mert and Dasha Vidmanova 6-2.

The Commodores fared no better in singles play as Georgia quickly captured one, two and then three team points to put the match away. No. 38 Alexandra Vecic bested freshman Valeria Ray (6-4, 6-1) while Mert got her revenge in a 6-2, 6-1 victory over Amy Stevens. A 6-0, 6-2 win by Guillermina Grant over Naomi Katz constituted the third Georgia victory.

In a similar fashion, the Commodores closed the weekend with a 4-0 loss to their Knoxville rival. The Volunteers started off hot, where the Tennessee duo of Alana Wolfberg and Ester Adeshina overcame Vanderbilt’s No. 83 Holly Staff and Ray. Bridget Stammel and Stevens evened the score one-even, overcoming Tennessee 7-5. Mohr and Lee were Vanderbilt’s last line of defense, but the duo were taken down by Volunteers Sofia Cabezas and Elza Tomase, giving Tennessee the early lead. 

Vanderbilt quickly captured a win with Mohr dominating on Court 1 against No. 18 Cabezas — a lead that did not last very long. Ray was defeated shortly after 6-0, 6-1, and Staff and Stammel followed shortly after, falling in a straight-set fashion. The Volunteer’s closed out their Senior Day matches in an undefeated 4-0 victory. 

Vanderbilt will be back in action at the SEC Tournament in Athens, Ga. from April 17-21. The Commodores are slotted into the seven seed and will face 10-seed Ole Miss in the first round. The winner will move on to face two-seed Texas A&M.