Vanderbilt considers West Palm Beach for possible business and computing expansion

The proposed expansion would construct a satellite campus for business and computing in West Palm Beach, Florida.
George Albu
Photograph of Vanderbilt’s Business School on a sunny day, as captured on Nov. 24, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/George Albu)

Vanderbilt is exploring the possibility of opening a satellite campus for business and computing in downtown West Palm Beach, Florida, as reported by Supernews on April 3 and initially covered by the Palm Beach Post on March 22, respectively. This expansion would assume a seven-acre plot of government-owned land that was previously intended for use by a University of Florida graduate school. The initiative has been led by real estate developers in West Palm Beach, including Related Cos. from New York and the Frisbie Group from Palm Beach. 

The targeted site for the proposed campus is situated in the neighborhood known as Government Hill, comprising two acres owned by the City of West Palm Beach and five acres owned by Palm Beach County. The city government has dedicated the land to the development of a modern educational facility.

A fundraising campaign led by developer Steve Ross aims to secure at least $300 million for Vanderbilt to establish the new campus. Ross hosted a fundraising event at his Palm Beach mansion on April 1, where roughly $100 million of the fundraising goal was pledged, although discussions and planning for the Vanderbilt campus remain ongoing.

Vanderbilt plans to build a campus dedicated to graduate programs in business and computing, and some have suggested the move to West Palm Beach may aim to leverage the influx of financial firms relocating there.

Chancellor Daniel Diermeier attended Ross’s fundraiser in Palm Beach County on April 1 for the new campus. He stated that Vanderbilt has been thinking about a potential second campus, and he believes that South Florida would be a “great location.” According to Diermeier, the expansion would double the size of the business school and add programs in computing-related fields.

“We’re always exploring new opportunities to expand our impact and further our mission,” a university representative said in an email to The Hustler.

Journei Barlow-Howard, a junior, said she appreciates that Vanderbilt is trying to expand their reach but believes it should improve internal issues first.

“Vanderbilt has buildings that need to be fixed right on campus. Calhoun’s elevators just got fixed. Furman’s elevators are still out — that’s an accessibility issue,” Barlow-Howard said. “How many times have they said that they are doing something with Highland? Let’s make sure things are good at home first.”

Sophomore Lan Yao expressed mixed feelings about the idea of a Vanderbilt satellite campus in West Palm Beach, citing the distance from the main campus as a barrier to feeling connected. However, she acknowledged potential benefits, especially for students like herself pursuing a business minor.

“It’s hard to regard it as part of Vanderbilt since I can hardly build that connection. But as a business minor, it would be great if there are programs for undergraduate students to participate in [the] Palm Beach campus,” Yao said. “So as long as Vanderbilt could integrate resources from Palm Beach, Florida and Nashville and provide stronger support for students interested in business, I think it will be a cool idea!”

Jenny Yang
Jenny Yang, Staff Writer and Photographer
Jenny Yang (‘26) is from Colonial Heights, Va. She is majoring in economics and political science with a minor in business. In her free time, Jenny enjoys trying new food, learning about different cultures and spending quality time with loved ones. She can be reached at [email protected].
George Albu
George Albu, Staff Writer and Photographer
George Albu (‘27) is majoring in medicine, health and society in the College of Arts and Science. When not working for The Hustler, he enjoys taking long walks around campus, reading or watching video essays about anything and everything online. He can be reached at [email protected].

J. Powers
13 days ago

Will this help in recruiting 4 and 5 star athletes out of Florida?

Confused
17 days ago

Is this an April fools joke from the chancellor?

Jayden Henry
19 days ago

can we focus on our own constantly under-construction campus first?