Recruiting: Virginia Tech transfer Tyler Nickel commits to Vanderbilt

Mark Byington got his second transfer this offseason and is one step closer to filling out his roster for the 2024-25 season.
Vanderbilt fans cheer on the team in their game vs Presbyterian, as photographed on Nov. 7, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Josh Rehders)

Vanderbilt Men’s Basketball head coach Mark Byington landed his second commitment from the transfer portal on Wednesday evening with the addition of Virginia Tech transfer Tyler Nickel.

The 6’7” shooting forward played at the University of North Carolina for his freshman year and then transferred to Virginia Tech for his sophomore year. With the Hokies, he averaged 8.8 points, 2.2 rebounds and 1.3 assists per game while averaging 24.3 minutes. The former four-star recruit started in just seven games for Virginia Tech but scored in double digits in 17 of their 33 games. 

This commitment comes just two weeks after the commitment of JMU transfer Jaylen Carey. Nickel shot 39.9% from beyond the arc with Virginia Tech. However, he isn’t just a catch-and-shoot player, as he showed signs of his ability to score around the rim in the paint during his sophomore campaign.

With key departures in Tyrin Lawrence and Colin Smith, this was a much needed commitment for Byington as he looks to build an NCAA Tournament roster. With at least two years of eligibility remaining, Nickel is a true shooter that has the size to compete on the wing in the SEC. As Byington continues to build his roster, this marks another milestone in his Vanderbilt tenure. 

Henry Oelhafen
Henry Oelhafen, Sports Copy Editor
Henry Oelhafen (‘26) is a student in Peabody College majoring in human and organizational development and minoring in business. Henry grew up as a Vanderbilt sports fan and loves to talk about both professional and amateur golf. In addition to writing, he loves to play golf with friends, hike and try new restaurants. He can be reached at [email protected].