Men’s Basketball: Vanderbilt adds sixth-year transfer Alex Hemenway

The former Clemson Tiger is the eighth player to join the Commodores via the transfer portal this offseason.
Ophelia Lu
Vanderbilt fans celebrate as photographed on Nov. 10, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Ophelia Lu)

Clemson shooting guard Alex Hemenway announced via Instagram on Tuesday afternoon that he would be joining Vanderbilt’s Men’s Basketball program. Hemenway marks first-year head coach Mark Byington’s eighth portal addition since taking over in late March.

The 6’3″ graduate is entering his last year of eligibility after spending five seasons with Clemson. Injuries got the best of Hemenway for much of his career in orange and purple — his only 30-plus-game season came in 2021-2022. He’ll get a fresh start with Byington and Co. and, as the oldest member of the Commodores’ current roster, will serve as a leader on the team.

The sharpshooting and quick-release from the Newburgh, Ind. is much-needed for a Vanderbilt roster that ranked in the bottom 10 in the entire nation in 3-point percentage at 28.3% last season. Hemenway, who’s shot over 40% from downtown in four of his five collegiate seasons, will be a welcome addition to a roster that lost many of its best shooters to the portal following Jerry Stackhouse’s departure this offseason.

Byington, who has done an excellent job rounding out his roster after losing all but two of Vanderbilt’s scholarship athletes this spring, will now search for two more transfers to fill up the Commodores’ scholarship spots.