Symphony of the strings: A conversation with songsmith and vocalist Bridget Kearney

In an interview with The Hustler, founding member of Lake Street Dive and solo artist Bridget Kearney shared insights into her journey and musical evolution.
The album cover for “Comeback Kid” by Bridget Kearney. (Photo courtesy of Jeremy Herron)

Multi-instrumentalist artist Bridget Kearney recently sat down with The Hustler to discuss her approach to music and artistic evolution. Renowned for her mastery of stringed fretted instruments, songwriting and cooperative spirit, Kearney strives to redefine the essence of collaboration through her membership in her band Lake Street Dive and her solo projects. Notable highlights of her career include winning the John Lennon Songwriting Contest in the Jazz category while in college and co-teaching an introductory songwriting course at Princeton alongside singer-songwriter Mark Lamar Stewart from the comedy-drama rock musical “Passing Strange.” 

Biography

“I was primarily drawn to music as a listener from a very young age,” Kearney said.  

Born and raised in Iowa City, Ia., Bridget Kearney eventually found her way to the bustling streets of Brooklyn. As a bassist, guitarist, songwriter and singer, Bridget Kearny’s love for music sparked early in her childhood. She used to listen to her parents’ rock ‘n’ roll records as well as her two older siblings as they practiced many instruments. Shortly afterward, she joined a cherub choir at church and picked up piano lessons at age 5.  

Being surrounded and inspired by a musical environment — her mother, a flutist and her grandmothers, musicians — Kearney felt the urge to push the boundaries of her musical talents. She then discovered a deep-seated love for jazz and songwriting. Her passion for that discipline was ignited in high school, where she became a rather sought-after bassist and was active in multiple bands. Subsequently, Kearney went to college in Boston, where she studied English at Tufts University and Jazz Studies at the New England Conservatory of Music with a focus on the bass, which she recalled having begun playing in the 4th grade. 

In 2004, as a sophomore in college, Kearney helped found the band Lake Street Dive along with Rachael Price (vocals) and Michael Calabrese (drums). Together, they’ve been exploring a mix of soulful rock ‘n’ roll, jazz, folk and pop genres.

Approach to music, songwriting and creativity

Kearney’s approach to songwriting is intricately woven into her eclectic lifestyle, transitioning between her roles and skills. According to her, this fluidity provides her with a safety net when she has an inspiration drought. It’s a perpetual rotation, with each role feeding into and enhancing the others.

“There is always something to fall back on and turn [oneself] to,” Kearney said. 

Rooted in her day-to-day experiences, Kearney’s creative process is straightforward yet profound. The lyrics of her songs usually originate with her sitting down, kicking off with a groove or a chord and then building upon the skeletal structure. However, Kearney’s goal remains consistent whether she’s working independently or collaborating with her band: to craft songs reflecting an exploratory escapade.

“Creativity is a muscle, there is not an unlimited supply of it,” Kearney said. “You just have to work it out and it becomes increasingly stronger.” 

Her perspective adds depth as she embraces being on the receiving end of music. Drawing from her initial attraction to music as a listener, she makes it a point to explore the New York music scene. This aspect is enriched by the city’s status as a melting pot as her receptivity extends to various genres, eras and cross-cultural influences. She sees to it to attend live music concerts about three nights a week to keep her feet in the pulse of the musical world. 

Though her solo career is important, collaboration is key for Kearney. Whether working alongside local talents during her solo tours or engaging with her audience through social media, she prioritizes authentic connections. Alongside showcasing her creative projects and engaging with fans, she shares glimpses of her lighthearted side. This collaborative ethos also extends to Lake Street Dive, where she emphasizes the collective pride in their achievements.

“My hope is that the audience at our concerts can recognize what we’ve done as a unit.”

— Bridget Kearney

Kearney’s songwriting approach varies depending on the intended vocalist. When writing for [Rachael] Price, the vocalist for the Lake Street Dive, Kearney’s style tends to be more outwardly reflected. In contrast, her solo songs exhibit a more salient emphasis on introspection, inviting listeners on an inward journey.

“When I am writing for her [Rachael Price], I have to make technical considerations like voice texture, range, etc.,” Kearney said. “And so do I if I am singing, so the music authentically resonates with both our personalities.” 

To stay grounded despite her busy schedule, she adheres to a routine that includes regular jogging sessions from which she derives head clarity and endorphins. Even amidst challenges, Kearney views them as opportunities for growth. During the COVID-19 lockdown, rather than succumbing to inertia, she used this period to reflect on the constant grind she had been on before and shift her perspective towards prioritizing what truly matters in life. As a result, Kearney’s philosophy has evolved to consider the importance of enjoying the present moment for her to anchor herself in reality while remaining open to new experiences.

“There are always other things to look forward to despite challenges,” Kearney said.

Legacy, visions and a message for the forthcoming generation

In addition to songwriting growth, she has witnessed remarkable evolution throughout her career, which has helped her express many personality changes and growth. Kearney prefers a dynamic approach to life and is a strong advocate for juggling the different iterations of oneself. She holds out hope that her fans — and those who come across her work — will embrace the journey of self-discovery and express the full spectrum of emotions they may encounter.

“Be perseverant, reach out and build relationships between people and your music.”

— Bridget Kearney

One way the singer enacts this advice is by consistently releasing new music. She also strives to explore a diverse range of styles, drawing inspiration from classical, rock, folk and more. She has incorporated elements from varied musical traditions in her solo songs, such as Samuel Barber’s “Adagio for Strings,” which is all about stepping into a paradoxical voyage between joy and nostalgia, albeit with her own rock ‘n’ roll twist. Kearney is an enthusiast of sorrowful tunes and Barber’s impact can be seen in specifically the songs “What Happened Today,” “Serenity,” “Wash Up” and “Who Are We Kidding,” all from her first solo album “Won’t Let You Down.”

Advocating for adaptability and stylistic exploration, she advised adhering to change, incorporating new influences and seeking inspiration from diverse sources when confronted with artistic stagnation. 

“I’ve gathered new ways of getting inspiration and that’s now through conversations, movies and my day-to-day life,” Kearney said. 

Upcoming projects 

At the beginning of this year, Kearney announced that her third solo album, “Comeback Kid,” would be released on April 12. Amongst the 11 songs featured on her lineup, “Obsessed” and “Security Camera” stand out as her personal favorites. Released on Feb. 9, early enough for Valentine’s Day, “Obsessed” is a toe-tapping pop song, a 3:58-minute proclamation of unrequited love and tribute to the boldness it takes to reveal those feelings to a crush. 

On the other end, “Security Camera,” which came out on Jan. 9, is deeply rooted in her affection for New York City. Inspired by the city’s ubiquitous surveillance infrastructure, which captures both crime and everyday beauty, the lyrics reflect the transient nature of memory. In the second verse, she sings, “Fell in love in the city / Where you’re never alone / There must be somebody out there / Who caught that kiss on a camera phone.” It is the bittersweet essence of nostalgia that happens when a moment fades and yet lingers in one’s mind. Often, all that remains of a moment is the image captured by a camera or the enduring imprint on souls. 

“When something is over [but you are] still able to see it in your mind, it’s a permission given to yourself to still love and enjoy items from your past,” Kearney said. 

As for the Lake Street Dive, they, alongside keyboardist and vocalist Akie Bermiss and touring guitarist James Cornelison, will be headlining Madison Square Garden Arena on Sept. 14.

While her role as a bassist in Lake Street Dive is foundational to the band’s sound, Kearney demonstrates that musicians can transcend limitations by encompassing far more than playing a specific role within a group. Her journey reminds us that greatness often lies beyond comfort zones and that innovation emerges when boundaries are challenged. Through Kearney’s pioneering spirit and dedication to her craft, readers can feel inspired to embrace creativity and chart their course within the music scene.