‘is nothing sacred?’: Jeremy Zucker gives Nashville a taste of sanctity

Marathon Music Works hosts Jeremy Zucker for his “is nothing sacred?” tour.
Sara West
Jeremy Zucker leans in toward the crowd, as photographed on Nov. 1, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Sara West)

If you had told me in 2018 that I would be listening to Jeremy Zucker’s “Talk is Overrated” in the pit of Marathon Music Works in Nashville, Tenn., I would have had a lot of questions. But, most likely, I would have asked if I could fast forward to that moment. Zucker and his raw and unapologetically moody lyrics took on the city of Nashville for the second time as a touring artist for his “is nothing sacred?” tour, named after his most recent EP. 

Zucker, a singer-songwriter, is widely known among listeners of indie pop. He is most recognized for his songs “all the kids are depressed” and “comethru” and is now touring after the release of his most recent EP, “is nothing sacred?”. 

Before Zucker’s 22-song emotional rollercoaster of a performance, Charlie Hickey and Sam MacPherson performed. Hickey started the night under the blue and yellow lights with a short, four-song set with his guitarist and pianist on either side of him, setting the tone for the night. His music was gentle, and his lyrics were heartfelt. The crowd was clued in for what was to come from the next two artists. 

Hickey was followed by MacPherson, an up-and-coming artist with notable songwriting talent and vocals that carry his one-man band well onto the list of top openers I’ve seen. Witty and charismatic, MacPherson hooked the audience with a story about chasing a woman from his home state of New Jersey, pursuing a relationship with her tirelessly for years. Before starting his song “Last Minute,” about their relationship dynamic, he announced that she was in the room, revealing that his pursuits had not been in vain. Nothing makes a song or artist more memorable than when the artist introduces it with a story, so his recount of their love story made it impossible not to be a cheerleader for the couple, while also leaving me wishing I was in her place.

By the end of MacPherson’s last song, a beautiful unreleased piece about checking in on the people you love, I realized that the night was going to be unforgettable.

Jeremy Zucker performs in a dark colorful space, as photographed on Nov. 1, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Sara West) (Sara West)

As expected, Zucker’s entrance was grand, with smoke and flashing lights; the stage put on a show of its own before Zucker even set foot on it. The music heightened with the rest of the effects and then abruptly stopped, leaving the stage free of any distractions as he approached the mic.

The concert’s setlist featured three of these new songs “i need you (in my life),” “OK” and “internet crush” as well as others from his “CRUSHER” album, the “(love),” compilation and some of his most famous singles — “comethru” and “julia,” to name a few. 

As if easing the crowd into the night, these songs were a perfect blend of upbeat while also possessing a sort of subtleness that really allowed the audience to take in the lyrics. After getting the crowd’s attention, he paused to express his excitement over finally being back in Nashville. 

His next several songs consisted of special shoutouts to his collaborator Chelsea Cutler, a stunning guitar solo by Zucker, a selfie with the crowd, a series of impressive dance moves and a talented moment on the piano during “somebody loves you.”

After so much high energy it was a refreshing change of pace when he took a seat under the word “Julia” and played the song about letting go of someone you love. However, the energy was immediately back when the first few notes of  “comethru” started playing and the crowd couldn’t help but start singing before Zucker could even begin.  

Moving from the piano to the guitar, his crowd work throughout the night was unmatched. He responded to every person who called out to him and made the show feel tailored to Nashville. In “oh, mexico” he closed the song by substituting “Mexico” for “Nashville” in the line “Oh, Nashville, sounds so sweet,” giving the audience a wink.

Jeremy Zucker performs at Marathon Music Works in Nashville, as photographed on Nov. 1, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Sara West) (Sara West)

Zucker’s emotional expression while performing was unlike anything that a streaming platform or record could replicate. Sometimes we forget that artists’ lyrics often come from their own experiences and their most vulnerable moments. Zucker’s performance, from start to finish, was a reminder of the vulnerability that musicians reveal and an invitation to share the same vulnerability with him.

Zucker prompted the crowd to share their struggles. After finding a crowd member going through what they described as a “friendship break-up,” Zucker brought them up on stage and comforted them with his song “Cry with you.” Already emotional from this performance, the next song — my personal favorite — “you were good to me” left me in tears. After it ended, I stood up and listened to the last two numbers “this is how you fall in love” and “talk is overrated” with my eyes closed and my hands up. 

The two-song encore opened up the pit and brought Zucker down to the floor, dancing with audience members. I could feel the emotional hangover before leaving the venue, but that wouldn’t stop me from doing it all over again if I could. 

Annika Koch
Annika Koch, Staff Writer
Annika Koch (‘25) is from Lexington, Ky., and studies cognitive studies and political science. You can reach her at [email protected].
Sara West
Sara West, Deputy Photography Editor
Sara West ('25) is majoring in psychology in the College of Arts and Science and human and organizational development in Peabody College. Sara loves going to concerts, thrifting and exploring new places. She was previously Deputy Photography Director and hopes to enter the music industry after graduating.  She can be reached at [email protected].