SEC Power Rankings Week Seven: Ascent, descent and animation

As conference play ramps up, The Hustler reveals the 14 SEC teams’ greatest assets and flaws through their Pixar Studio film equivalents.
Vanderbilt and Missouri have taken wildly different trajectories after starting the season in similar places. (Hustler Multimedia/Barrie Barto)

After decades of dominance atop college football, the Southeastern Conference has fallen on hard times this season. Every team in the league — with the possible exception of Georgia after this week’s shellacking of Kentucky — has readily apparent flaws that threaten to keep them from living up to preseason expectations.

When will the SEC be back on top? The same question could be asked of Pixar Studios. After decades of elite productions that set the standard for animation, the company has taken a step back in the eyes of the public and critics in recent years. Between bland sequels, redundant concepts and the rise of other studios, it’s no secret that Pixar, like the SEC, has lost a step.

Both SEC coaches and Pixar executives are likely asking themselves a lot of hard questions right now. While we can’t answer those, we can compare them in the most Buzzfeed way possible. Nobody asked, but we answered. You’re welcome.

1. Georgia 6-0 (3-0)

Pixar Comparison: Ratatouille”

Georgia is “Ratatouille” simply because it’s cooking. After a slow start through the first five weeks, the Bulldogs trounced Kentucky 51-13 in Athens in a game they led nearly wire-to-wire. Head coach Kirby Smart shrunk to rat proportions and climbed into quarterback Carson Beck’s helmet to pull the (hair) strings on the freshman’s best performance of the year as the Georgia offense more than tripled Kentucky’s yardage. Don’t expect an Anton Ego to materialize any time soon — the Bulldogs get Vanderbilt, Florida and then Missouri over the next month. Maybe Ole Miss gives them a problem? Maybe Tennessee? Occam’s razor says no, and Remy’s nose is already sniffing cheese in Atlanta.

1. Alabama 5-1 (3-0)

Pixar Comparison: Cars”

If you were to ask most Alabama fans how they felt during the football season throughout the Saban dynasty they might remark that “life is a highway.” Alabama, sitting at 3-0 in conference play, is a cool and classic pick for the No. 2 spot on this week’s rankings, just like its Pixar counterpart “Cars.” There is no question that “Cars” is one of the greatest Pixar creations of the 21st century, just like there is no questioning that Alabama is one of the greatest football programs of the 21st century. Like McQueen in the opening scene of “Cars,” Alabama seems to almost always come out on top even amongst the wreckage. After losing to Texas at home, the Crimson Tide proved that they are still on top, claiming dominant wins over Ole Miss and Mississippi State. Yet, just like the young hotshot racer Lightning McQueen realizes when he becomes stranded in Radiator Springs, Alabama has taken a step back as the Georgia dynasty takes over. This was apparent in the Crimson Tide’s victory over unranked Texas A&M when the Aggies collected six sacks, three deflected passes and one interception. Alabama is still squarely in the driver’s seat in the SEC West, and should have another win this week as it takes on its less classic counterpart “Cars 3″ in Arkansas. 

1. Ole Miss 5-1 (2-1)

Pixar Comparison: Finding Nemo”

Watching a Lane Kiffin team succeed in the SEC is like watching the final scene in “Finding Nemo,” when Marlin is watching Nemo go to school after finally getting him back: the quintessential pure proud dad moment. Ole Miss has had a statement year so far as a product of gritty perseverance and tenacity. The Rebels have quickly made it clear that they are here to win and will do whatever it takes to do so — just like Marlin’s mission in finding his son — with a statement win against LSU in week 5. Ole Miss boasts one of the better offensive games in the SEC with a talented running and receiving game, at the center of it all is junior quarterback Jaxon Dart who has a 63.1 completion percentage and 1638 passing yards. Yet with a loss to Alabama in week four, Ole Miss is likely out of the race for the SEC title game. Ole Miss has a bye this week but will jump back into action against Auburn in week eight, where more wholesome moments between Lane Kiffin and his team await. 

1. LSU 4-2 (3-1)

Pixar Comparison: Inside Out” 

LSU isn’t like “Inside Out” so much as watching LSU is like watching “Inside Out.” For the last three weeks, the Tigers have played down to the final minutes against teams with clearly inferior talent and less experienced coaching. That’s leading to a range of emotions down on the bayou. The secondary’s busted coverages lead to disgust. Halftime deficits create fear. The receiving corps sparks joy. Jayden Daniels getting tackled invokes sadness. Allowing 445.7 yards per game causes anger. Tell me Brian Kelly doesn’t look like Bing Bong.

1. Tennessee 4-1 (1-1)

Pixar Comparison: Toy Story”

Tennessee — like “Toy Story” is in the Pixar world — is a classic contender in the SEC. As a program it is second only to Alabama in wins all time, and it’s safe to say that no team likes to make the trip up to Rocky Top every year. This year though, the Volunteers are like “Toy Story’s” Woody in the sense that they are scared of being both replaced and forgotten. Last year, the Volunteers had one of the best seasons in program history, finishing 11-2 with five ranked wins, one of which came in week three against the then No. 5 Alabama Crimson Tide. That win proved that head coach Josh Heupel could in fact compete and win nationally amongst the modern football environment. Yet, Tennessee has struggled to produce the same results as it had last season. After getting swamped by the Gators in Gainesville during week 3, they came back with a statement win in South Carolina. With a tough schedule ahead of them in playing the Aggies, Kentucky, and Missouri in the coming weeks, everyone will be seeing if the Volunteers can prove that classics still belong, or if they will get lost in the limelight of the new toys in town like Missouri and Kentucky.

1. Missouri 5-1 (1-1)

Pixar Comparison: The Incredibles”

Missouri, like “The Incredibles,” has decided to abandon its mediocre SEC football reputation and put its powers on display. In the 2023 SEC preseason power rankings, Missouri was ranked No. 10; but, after steady improvement which brought it to a 5-0 to start to the season, the Tigers have now established themselves as a contender in the SEC. Last week in the battle of the Tigers, Missouri snapped their winning streak and moved to .500 in the SEC, after falling to LSU by 10 points. Missouri possesses  a strong run game and defensive line, but it’s Achilles heel is its offensive line. In the LSU game, Missouri’s offensive line collected two false starts, an illegal snap and two holding calls. These penalties hindered offensive progress in a game where high scoring was necessary to win. This week, all eyes in the SEC will be on their matchup versus No. 22 Kentucky to see if the Tigers’  superpowers are a ploy or the real thing. Regardless of their powers though, they may want to give everyone’s favorite superhero costume designer Edna “E” Mode a call to do a serious overhaul on the uniform color scheme.

1. Kentucky 5-1 (2-1)

Pixar Comparison: WALL-E”

Like “WALL-E,” Kentucky got by in the opening five weeks by cleaning up absolute trash. The Wildcats faced Ball State, Eastern Kentucky, Akron, Vanderbilt and Florida to open the season, and they used that opportunity to ascend the rankings after a subpar 2022 campaign. Then came Georgia. Faced with the two-time defending national champions, quarterback Devin Leary completed only 10 of his 26 pass attempts for 128 yards. Leading rusher Ray Davis was held to just 59 yards just a week after breaking his career record. EVE may not be able to locate life on Planet Kentucky any time soon as the Wildcats still have to face Missouri, Tennessee, Alabama and Louisville. Regardless, Mark Stoops’ squad is still a competent bowl team with the ability to beat up on lesser foes. Just don’t expect them to blast off into space.

1. Florida 4-2 (2-1)

Pixar Comparison: Monsters University” 

“Monsters University” is the movie you watch because you remember loving Monsters Inc. It is hard to hate  because it reminds you of your college days. That being said, it will never match what Monsters Inc. produced. Being a Florida Gators fan post-2008 is just like watching “Monsters University”; enjoyable on occasion to watch but never the dominance of what came in the late 2000’s. “Monsters University” is also just like the 2023 Florida Gators in that they both source their energy from somewhere else, in “Monsters U” they get their powers from the screams of other children, and in Gainesville they get their powers from the screams of the fans in the swamp. Florida beats teams they shouldn’t in the swamp and losses to teams they shouldn’t when they have to travel. Among big wins in the swamp this year was a beatdown of No.11 Tennessee, when Trevor Etienne ran for a career high of 172 yards and a touchdown, and backup running back Montrell Johnson scored twice. Yet, Florida lost handedly on the road to both Utah and Kentucky, allowing its opponents to score a total of 57 points across the two games. As the Gators hit the road against South Carolina, we wouldn’t be surprised if they drop to .500 in the SEC, in the absence of the swamp effect. 

1. Texas A&M 4-2 (2-1)

Pixar Comparison: A Bug’s Life”

“A Bug’s Life” is the Pixar movie that everyone seems to forget until its staunchly loyal fanbase reminds you of just how good it is. Then they keep reminding you. Over, and over and over again. Then you start watching the movie and think you actually have seen it before. Wait, no you haven’t, that was “Antz.” You’re told they’re definitely not the same movie. This one’s better. Then you finish it. Really? That’s the movie? We’re sure it’s not “Antz?”

That’s the Texas A&M experience. Offensive coordinator Bobby Petrino does appear to have improved the offense, and kudos has to be given to Max Johnson for stepping right into Connor Weigman’s role and playing just as well. The problem is that this is still Fisher’s team. He’s still going to punt on fourth-and-1 in opponent territory. He’s still not going to allow Petrino to hop on the motorcycle and go full spread offense. He’s still never going to out coach Nick Saban, Lane Kiffin, Brian Kelly or any number of opposing SEC coaches. Until the price of West Texas crude jumps astronomically, that $75 million buyout isn’t going to be any easier to swallow. So get ready, Aggieland, because you’re going to be watching “A Bug’s Life” or “Antz” or whatever movie it is for a long time to come.

1. South Carolina 2-3 (1-2)

Pixar Comparison: Up”

The opening 10 minutes of “Up” is one of the most crushing sequences ever animated. If you talk to a South Carolina fan, they probably felt the same way after watching their team surrender nine sacks to North Carolina in the season opener. Unfortunately for Spencer Rattler, a quarterback as old as Carl Fredricksen, there is no spry young adventure scout coming to rescue the program. The Gamecocks had the weekend off to recuperate after a crushing loss to Tennessee, but impending matchups with Florida, Missouri and Texas A&M don’t look promising for one of the worst offensive lines in the conference. Shane Beamer is a good head coach, and a couple of easy games still remain on the schedule, but it’ll take a lot of coins in the piggy bank to buy a ticket to the postseason. 

1. Mississippi State 3-3 (0-3)

Pixar Comparison: Brave”

This year, Mississippi State has struggled to compete in the SEC. Last year, the Bulldogs went 9-4 with a No. 19 end of season ranking, but this year, they are 0-3 in the SEC and have been on the receiving end of some pretty brutal losses, including LSU in week three, and Alabama in week five. Mississippi State, like the main message in its Pixar equivalent, “Brave,” is facing the realities and setbacks that come with change. Most notably, the biggest change that occurred in this program was the passing of beloved head coach Mike Leach, and the replacement of his position by former offensive coordinator Zach Arnett. Like Merida, Mississippi State will have to learn to forge a new path forward if it wants to find success. Within the next few weeks, there will be several opportunities for Mississippi State to improve their record, including games against both Arkansas and Auburn in weeks eight and nine.

1. Arkansas 2-4 (0-3)

Pixar Comparison: Cars 3″

Like Lightning McQueen in “Cars 3,” KJ Jefferson finds himself in the last throes of his career as an Arkansas quarterback. Jefferson’s tenure in Fayetteville has been phenomenal. During the loss to Texas A&M two weeks ago, he passed Matt Jones’ record for the most career touchdowns in program history. The redshirt senior has led the Razorbacks for three of Sam Pittman’s four seasons at the helm, including a 9-4 campaign in 2021 that defied all expectations. Now, in his final year of eligibility, the team is struggling mightily. The Razorbacks are 2-4 — the worst record of any SEC team not named Vanderbilt — and are averaging the fewest yards per game in the conference. Against the Aggies, Jefferson completed only 9 of his 17 pass attempts for 132 yards. That’s the real world equivalent of a car who’s won seven Piston Cups but can’t cope with the new era of the sport. Has time passed Jefferson by, or does he have another major race left in him? By major race we mean the Outback Bowl, because that’s the most significant game the Razorbacks have played for in a decade.

1. Auburn 3-2 (0-2)

Pixar Comparison: Toy Story 3″

Auburn is like “Toy Story” in reverse. The program had its Andy in Gus Malzahn. In his first season as head coach, the Tigers finished No. 2 in the country. Sure he stopped playing with them for a few years, but then he came back in 2017 and beat both Alabama and Georgia in a year when those teams battled for a national championship. Times got hard and Malzahn and his toys grew apart, but in the end it was Auburn’s decision to fire him. They replaced their Andy with Bryan Harsin and that clearly didn’t work. Now the Tigers have Hugh Freeze — a coach who’s already been fired from one SEC gig. It’s too early to tell if he’s actually Lotso incarnate, but the roster and the results resemble the mismatched menagerie of Sunnyside Daycare more than a serious SEC West contender. Will Freeze drag the program into a literal dumpster fire by the time his tenure is over? Nobody knows, but a few former Ole Miss administrators probably have some inclinations.

1. Vanderbilt 2-5 (0-3)

Pixar Comparison: Finding Dory”

“Finding Dory” left viewers with no change from “Finding Nemo,” and Vanderbilt has also failed to provide fans with change all season — leaving them ranked last for the seventh straight week in our power rankings. Clark Lea’s team 3 brought much excitement to loyal Vanderbilt fans in the preseason, and for the first time in years bowl expectations seemed realistic. However, just as “Finding Dory” quickly made viewers realize that it would fall short of the expectation to match “Finding Nemo’s” magic, Vanderbilt’s in-game performances made fans’ bowl expectations quickly fade. Vanderbilt is still without a win in the SEC, already falling to the two teams it beat last year (Kentucky and Florida) by a combined 45 points. Just like in the movie, which sees Dory struggle to find herself and her identity, Vanderbilt has done the same. Despite thinking that Vanderbilt had a concrete starting quarterback, in the last two weeks the team has seen the re-emergence of Ken Seals as a starter. Ultimately, “Finding Dory” is a story of self discovery amongst struggle, if the Commodores are to do that, they will need to just keep swimming through a challenging next two weeks, where they’ll face Georgia and Ole Miss, respectively.