IN PHOTOS: Becca Mancari celebrates LGBTQ+ history month at The Blue Room

Nashville-based musician Becca Mancari celebrates their new record, “Left Hand,” at the Blue Room with opener girlpuppy.
Abby Hoelscher
Becca Mancari closes their eyes to sing into the microphone, as captured on Oct. 6, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Abby Hoelscher)

For first-time concert-goers at The Blue Room of Third Man Records, we could not have had a better experience. From the disco ball and LED lighting to the hallucinatory curved walls and the literal blue decor, this venue provided the perfect atmosphere for a colorful, clamorous concert. 

The show opened with Becca Harvey, also known as girlpuppy, and her soft, sweet vocals. We loved how she interacted with the audience and even smiled at our photographer from on stage.

When Becca Mancari, the main act, opened with “Homesick Honeybee” from their recently released album “Left Hand,” the ambiance completely shifted. Our jaws dropped as they strutted on stage, decked out in black leather with an electric guitar in hand.

Becca Mancari strums their electric guitar alongside their band, as captured on Oct. 6, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Abby Hoelscher) (Abby Hoelscher)

As the second song, “Pretend,” came to an end, Mancari recognized many of the audience members in the crowd. They reminisced on serving tacos and drinks in the bustling city of Nashville, a common experience of local rising artists.

Mancari then opened up about their journey with belonging and acceptance of being gay in a small, conservative town in Tennessee. They mentioned going through immense pain while coming to terms with their sexuality and how songwriting played a pivotal role in self-acceptance.

“This song is for the gays,” Mancari said. “Happy pride for the rest of your life!”

With heart-warming appreciation, Mancari dedicated the next song, “Mexican Queen,” to their partner. The song was about the early uncertainty surrounding their relationship and how they made it through with kindness and patience. 

“Love so rare I can touch it,” Mancari sang.

Overall, Becca Mancari’s pride and confidence in who they are and how they identify radiated throughout the venue. It was incredibly inspiring to see their appreciation for those both on and off the stage that had helped them get to where they are today.

Urmika Nandwani
Urmika Nandwani, Staff Photographer
Urmika Nandwani (‘26) is from South Jordan, Utah and studies biology and anthropology in the College of Arts and Science. When not taking pictures for The Hustler, she can be found cozied up with a good book or out and about on a run. She can be reached at [email protected].
Abby Hoelscher
Abby Hoelscher, Photography Editor
Abby Hoelscher (‘27) is from St. Louis and is an aspiring elementary teacher currently studying in Peabody College. She previously served as Deputy Photography Director. Outside of writing, she enjoys performing, learning Taylor Swift songs in American Sign Language and trying the seasonal lattes from the campus coffee shops. She can be reached at [email protected].