IN PHOTOS: Lights on the Lawn 2023 energized the student ‘Body’

Loud Luxury, Alex Rayne and Planet Mars performed at the annual Lights on the Lawn concert benefiting the Mary Parrish Center.
Geetika Komati
Loud Luxury lights up the stage as the crowd watches, as photographed on Sept. 29, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Geetika Komati)

Loud Luxury took over Alumni Lawn on Sept. 29 as headliners for Lights on the Lawn, an annual philanthropic concert organized by students benefiting the Mary Parrish Center. Andrew Fedyk and Joe DePace of Loud Luxury were joined by DJ groups Alex Rayne and Planet Mars to complete the night.

Loud Luxury stated during their set that the concert, sponsored by Celsius and M Street Entertainment Group, raised over $80,000 for the Mary Parrish Center, a non-profit organization offering support and resources to survivors of interpersonal violence. Since the event began in 2012, nearly $750,000 has been donated.

This year, Lights on the Lawn held an inaugural Vanderbilt student DJ competition — the DJ with the highest dollar amount of donations from their GoFundMe page became the concert’s opener. Zeta Beta Tau’s Planet Mars, composed of Mazyar Azmi (‘26), Rishabh Gharekhan (‘24), Aidan Mulvey (‘25) and Solomon Tolson (‘25), won the competition. Planet Mars started the night with some house and pop remixes while decked out in NHL jerseys and graphic tees. 

The second opener was Alex Rayne, a DJ duo consisting of Vanderbilt senior Ryan McCord and Alex Boyd (‘21), who opened for Justin Jesso and Quinn XCII at Lights on the Lawn in 2019. Alex Rayne’s set featured several nostalgic songs from the 2010s, such as “Dynamite” by Taio Cruz and “Like a G6” by Far East Movement featuring The Cataracs and DEV. They even played a dance remix of “Set Fire to the Rain” by Adele. For their last song, they told the crowd to pull out their phone flashlights and wave them around as they closed out with an unreleased remix of  “A Sky Full of Stars” by Coldplay. 

With a white flash, headliner Loud Luxury ran out to their original song “Nights Like This” featuring CID. They also included a personalized background featuring the former Star V logo as the “O” in “LOUD LUXURY.” Their set primarily consisted of remixes of other artists’ songs but also featured more of their original EDM tracks. The crowd went crazy for “If Only I” featuring Bebe Rexha and “Afterparty” featuring Hook N Sling. 

Loud Luxury catered to their Nashville audience by playing some country music mixes. The audience grooved to a disco remix of Morgan Wallen’s “Last Night” and “You Proof.” They also played dance-pop remixes of “Tequila” by Dan and Shay, “Chicken Fried” by Zac Brown Band and “Fast Car” by Luke Combs.

DePace and Fedyk came to party, frequently jumping up onto the DJ tables and showing off their dance moves. At one point, DePace jumped into the audience holding out the microphone for fans to sing into. The duo also encouraged the audience to jump, yell and get on their friends’ shoulders. They closed their performance with a bang — playing their most popular hit, “Body,” which has over a billion streams on Spotify. 

The visuals on stage were spectacular, with lots of lasers, flashing lights and bursts of smoke. DePace praised Vanderbilt’s “top-tier energy” and asked the audience to pose for a group selfie commemorating the occasion. Loud Luxury later posted a video from their set on their Instagram story calling Vanderbilt a “party school.” After attending Lights on the Lawn ourselves, we can confirm that Vandy students definitely know how to have a good time.