IN PHOTOS: MisterWives and Bishop Briggs blew the roof off Brooklyn Bowl

Accompanied by Raffaella and Bishop Briggs, the MisterWives concert on Sept. 8 left Nashville in awe.
Kasey Kautz
Mandy Lee dances with the microphone, as photographed on Sept. 8, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Kasey Kautz)

MisterWives and Bishop Briggs put on a phenomenal show, no matter where you were in the venue. MisterWives’ style and Bishop Briggs’ lyrics created a one-of-a-kind experience at Brooklyn Bowl on Sept. 8. 

To start the show, opener Raffaella pulled on the audience’s heartstrings with her emotional songs. Midway through her performance, she spoke to the crowd about it being okay to cry along to her songs, noting their relatability. As if on cue, after each song, the audience burst into unfeigned cheers. 

After Raffaella, Bishop Briggs’s set started. The bright stage lights behind her illuminated her even brighter stage presence. While talking to the crowd, Briggs expressed her love of Nashville and the experience that made her want to move to the city. 

“This is music. This is Nashville,” Briggs said. “[I thought] ‘Give me a sign, give me a reason to move here’ and when I turned the corner, there was a sign that said, ‘you belong here.’” 

Throughout the show, platforms on stage showed projections of words and images. These depictions allowed the audience to see as well as hear the lyrics that Briggs was pouring out. One of these images was one of her and her baby as she sang  “superhuman,” a single she released in 2022. 

Briggs shared that one of her favorite aspects of creating music is connecting with fans and embracing their experiences as her own. With only a couple of songs left unperformed in the 14-song set, Briggs sang a cover of a song that helped her to win “The Masked Singer” — “Take Me to Church.”

The night ended with a creative performance by MisterWives, led by lead singer Mandy Lee. After jumping into an energetic first song, Lee welcomed the crowd. 

“Look at all of these beautiful people out here tonight,” Lee said. 

As the performance continued, Lee encouraged the audience to let go of their emotional baggage and feel the moment. Lee mentioned that the front-row fans had the best background vocals that she could ever ask for. 

As MisterWives continued their energetic performance, Lee introduced the concept of her newest album. 

“I just made so much peace with the fact that the older I get, the less I know,” Lee said. 

Lee had a stage presence that left me in awe. I could feel her confidence that radiated from the fluidity of her movements across the stage. Characteristics like these make for some of the best performers in the music industry. MisterWives along with the singing of the audience filled the room with livening music the rest of the night. 

MisterWives and Bishop Briggs are a remarkable duo thriving in the music industry with a unique connection to their fans. They create an energetic environment through luminous and expressive set design. The combination of MisterWives’ vocals and phenomenal stage presence leaves me excited to see their music career continue to thrive.