Rothschild Munchie Mart closes, repurposed for Center for Languages

Campus Dining said the closure was due to low patronage at the Munchie Mart.
Narenkumar Thirmiya
Rothschild College archway, as photographed on Aug. 30, 2022. (Hustler Multimedia/Narenkumar Thirmiya)

UPDATED: This article was updated on Aug. 20, 2023, at 10:15 a.m. CDT to include a comment from the director of the Center for Languages.

Rothschild Munchie Mart has closed, Campus Dining confirmed in an Aug. 16 message to The Hustler. Campus Dining cited low business as the cause for the closure. 

Over the summer, the space was repurposed for use by the Center for Languages, which aims to encourage cross-cultural awareness and language learning. As of print, its website reads that the center is located in Furman Hall. 

After a review of sales history and low student utilization, the decision was made to close the Rothschild Munchie Mart and refocus our efforts on our existing Munchie Marts at Highland, Branscomb, Rand, Kissam and Commons,” the email reads. 

Campus Dining has yet to announce the Munchie Mart’s closure formally.

I’m curious how Campus Dining is going to break the news to the student body — they’ve been pretty transparent about all of the changes they’ve made so far,” junior Zander Schwartz, a Zeppos RA, said in a message to The Hustler.

Charlene Helmuth, director of the Center for Languages, said in an email to The Hustler that the center’s occupation of the former Rothschild Munchie Mart serves to expand on the current language integration in residential colleges, such as language tables in Zeppos Dining Hall.

We plan to start using the space later this fall and anticipate it will serve as an access point to our academic offerings, provide opportunities for unstructured language exchange, and host a variety of activities that will allow for collaboration across campus,” Helmuth said.

Junior Audrey Lingan, an incoming Rothschild resident, said the former offerings at the Rothschild Munchie Mart, among other factors, may have led to low student usage of the site. Before the 2020-21 academic year, Munchie Marts offered more options for a meal swipe, rather than Meal Money or Commodore Cash — a change students have frowned upon

“In theory, a Munchie there [at Rothschild] would be so nice because it’s right next to both residential colleges, Greek Row and Alumni Lawn, but then they had weird operation hours and not any available options,” Lingan said in a message to The Hustler.

Last semester, Rothschild Munchie Mart’s hours were adjusted in a deviation from the hours of the other Munchie Marts. Campus Dining cited student feedback as the cause for the then-new hours, although some students claimed that the new hours were less reflective of student needs. 

The closure is one of many changes coming to Campus Dining this fall. Among other changes, residential college dining halls and The Pub’s hours are being extended, new food stations are being launched at Rothschild, Zeppos and E. Bronson Ingram Dining Halls, a new, made-to-order sushi dining location is opening and Randwiches can now be ordered in advance online. Furthermore, Taste of Nashville features a new alcohol policy, and Velvet Taco, Nicoletto’s Italian Kitchen and Koi Sushi & Thai have discontinued their partnership with the program.