Nicoletto’s Italian Kitchen to close Hillsboro location on June 12

Nicoletto’s encouraged customers to visit its other locations in Donelson and East Nashville after the Hillsboro location closes.
Brina Ratangee
Nicoletto’s Italian Kitchen in Hillsboro Village, as photographed on June 8, 2023. (Hustler Staff/Brina Ratangee)

Nicoletto’s Italian Kitchen announced on June 6 via Instagram and Facebook posts that its Hillsboro location will permanently close on June 12. It is the fifth Taste of Nashville partner to close in the past academic year, joining Mellow Mushroom, Tavern, Cabana Taps and the Ainsworth.

Students expressed remorse and disappointment at the news, referencing its centrality to Vanderbilt culture.

“We’d like to thank the students and customers of the Hillsboro shop for 3 years of business, through all of the challenges that 2020 and forward have shown us,” Nicoletto’s Pasta Company owner Ryan Nicoletto said. “We’ve made some lifelong memories at that location, and both of our families and employees alike are grateful for the opportunity to serve the community.”

Nicoletto cited the conclusion of the location’s lease as the reason for the closure and encouraged customers to visit other Nicoletto’s locations in Donelson and East Nashville. He also expressed a commitment to continue servicing the Vanderbilt community from these other locations.

As for Taste of Nashville, we’ve appreciated being part of the program and will continue to service this area with increased online delivery and UberEats delivery opportunities from our Donelson and East Nashville stores,” Nicoletto said.

According to Nicoletto, Campus Dining was not informed of the decision to close Nicoletto’s until their June 6 social media announcement. Representatives from Campus Dining did not respond to The Hustler’s request for comment.

Junior Nick Aguilar, a self-proclaimed avid fan of Nicoletto’s, expressed surprise and regret over the announcement.

“I am shocked and so scared for the Vanderbilt community about this loss. I love pasta, and my best friend Rod used to work here. I don’t know where else to get pasta,” Aguilar said. “We will get past(a) this together.”

Echoing Aguilar’s sentiments, senior Grace Ward described the personal impact the announcement had on her.

“Woe is me. My heart has been broken into a thousand pieces, and I shall never recover,” Ward said.

Senior Bimi Ogungbade called the closure of Nicoletto’s a “huge loss” to the Vanderbilt community.

“Nicoletto’s has been a core part of my experience going to Vandy and living in Nashville. I am so sad to see it go,” Ogungbade said.

Senior Sam Josephson attributed the closure to the overall gentrification of Hillsboro Village, which she believes is “pushing out the best restaurants.”

“Whether it be a depression meal after an orgo exam or a pre-race dinner, Nicoletto’s always had my back when it came to food,” Josephson said. “Nothing will ever replace the Nicoletto’s-shaped hole in my heart except maybe adding Pancake Pantry to the Commodore Card.”