Recruiting: Vanderbilt secures four-star Notre Dame transfer Ven-Allen Lubin

After losing seven players to the transfer portal, Jerry Stackhouse landed the forward in the portal on Wednesday.
Vanderbilt men’s basketball huddles during a game against Tennessee on Jan. 18, 2022. (Vanderbilt Athletics)

Former Notre Dame forward Ven-Allen Lubin announced via Twitter on Wednesday that he has committed to Vanderbilt.

Lubin, a 6’8’’, 220-pound freshman, averaged 6.2 points per game, 4.4 rebounds per game and shot 58% from the field over 17.4 minutes per game in his lone season for the Fighting Irish. Despite starting just seven games for Notre Dame, the dynamic forward showed enough promise in his limited role to earn a four-star transfer ranking from 247 Sports. 

Lubin was also a highly touted prospect coming out of high school, ranking as the No. 10 power forward and No. 74 overall high school recruit in the class of 2022, according to ESPN. The former four-star recruit played for the Orlando Christian Prep School in Florida.

“I will be transferring to Vanderbilt University because of their amazing basketball staff team, prestigious education, and an experienced former NBA player as a coach,” Lubin told 247Sports. “This university will excel my journey on and off the court and further in life.”

After a tumultuous offseason that saw head coach Jerry Stackhouse lose many of his key players from a season ago, Lubin’s addition as an experienced Power Five level player should be welcomed by the Commodores. In terms of his skillset, the forward excels when attacking the rim and using his athleticism to grab rebounds and run in transition. Especially following the departures of Liam Robbins, Quentin Millora-Brown and Jordan Wright, Lubin should see ample opportunity early on amidst Vanderbilt’s inexperienced frontcourt. 

With Lubin signed on to play for Stackhouse, the Commodores now have two remaining scholarships for their 2023-24 roster. As Vanderbilt looks to complete their roster, the most important decision still to be made is in the hands of Tyrin Lawrence. Despite entering the transfer portal and garnering interest across the Power Five, Lawrence has yet to rule out the possibility of a return to Nashville for his final two years of eligibility. With Vanderbilt’s roster nearly filled out following the addition of Lubin, all eyes will turn back to the transfer decision of Lawrence.