IN PHOTOS: Carnival 2023

Vanderbilt’s Caribbean Student Association hosts Carnival: A nonstop celebration of Caribbean dances and culture.
Narenkumar Thirmiya
Reggae-Soca Fusion performers throw their flags up in the air, as photographed on April 1, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Narenkumar Thirmiya)

Vanderbilt’s Caribbean Student Association held its annual showcase, Carnival, on April 1 on Alumni Lawn. Carnival is a festival that usually takes place before the Christian season of Lent. The Caribbean Carnival, originating from Trinidad and Tobago, celebrates emancipation and culture in the Caribbean islands. The festival is known for its vibrant dances and colorful costumes.

The theme of this year’s Carnival was “A Neverending Party” and highlighted the festivities and excitement this year’s Carnival had to offer.

The showcase featured a collection of dances from Caribbean cultures, such as kompa, bachata and reggae-soca fusion. The event also saw guest performances from various performing arts groups around campus, such as VIBE, Melanated A Capella and VIDA.

Between the performances, the emcees kept the crowd entertained. They called up students to join them in various contests and games, such as whining, hula hoop, limbo and musical chairs. As the games went on, the crowds cheered for the participants as they competed for the top prizes.

The showcase was capped off by honoring the board members that worked so hard to make the event successful.