IN PHOTOS: Annie DiRusso’s new EP “God, I Hate This Place” made me love this city

Annie DiRusso rocked out in East Nashville as she performed her new EP the night before its release.
Sara West
Annie DiRusso sings to the audience, photographed on Feb. 23, 2023. (Hustler Multimedia/Sara West)

As a massive fan of the Nashville indie music scene, I’m no stranger to Annie DiRusso’s music. I first saw her perform live when she opened for Sara Kays at The Basement back in October 2021. I didn’t yet know her name, but after hearing her performance, I knew I could never miss another one of her shows.

DiRusso is originally from NYC but now lives in Nashville. Since playing alongside Sara Kays, she has opened for other iconic Nashville artists such as Briston Maroney and Samia. In April, she begins her headline “God, I Love This Tour,” where she will play songs from her new EP and classic hits such as “Coming Soon” and “Nine Months.” 

The show to debut her new EP was hosted at Q Prime South. This cozy East Nashville room was filled with her parents, friends and biggest fans. Even though the EP would be released the following day, many people already knew the words and were singing along. “God, I Hate This Place” consists of five songs about the difficulties of growing up. Songs reference struggling with your mental health, never feeling like you’re enough for someone and feeling like you don’t fit in.

Annie opened the show with “Emerson,” a song I’ve been listening to non-stop since it came out as a single on Feb. 3. She continued her set by playing all of the songs off her new EP in order as they appear. 

After the final song on her new release, DiRusso played some of her top hits such as “Nine Months,” “Don’t Swerve” and “Infinite Jest.” She concluded the show with her most popular song: “Coming Soon.”

Throughout the show, DiRusso showcased not only her incredible vocals and songwriting skills but also her guitar skills. She played a bright-red electric guitar that perfectly matched her hair.  

I can’t wait to scream these songs even louder when I see her and that red guitar again in May at The Basement East on the Nashville stop of her headline tour.