Men’s Basketball: Vanderbilt signs Jerry Stackhouse to contract extension

Vanderbilt men’s basketball announced the extension of head coach Jerry Stackhouse today.
Jerry Stackhouse huddles his team during Vanderbilt loss to South Carolina on Jan. 4, 2022. (Vanderbilt Athletics)

Fourth-year head coach Jerry Stackhouse signed a contract extension with Vanderbilt on Tuesday evening, the team announced via Twitter.

Stackhouse led Vanderbilt to its first postseason appearance since 2017 last season, as the Commodores nearly clinched a berth in the NIT Final Four. The UNC-Chapel Hill alum has amassed a record of 39-54 in three seasons on West End, with each of his teams finishing with a better record than the year before. Stackhouse was an All-American selection during his time at UNC.

“The positive trajectory of our men’s basketball program under Coach Stackhouse is clear,” Vice Chancellor for Athletics and University Affairs and Athletic Director Candice Story Lee said. “Committing to and investing in him as the leader is an important part of building the championship-caliber program that we all want and expect here at Vanderbilt. I value the contributions Jerry and his program have made to our community and campus, and I am excited about our future.”

During his tenure, three former Commodores have moved on to the NBA (Aaron Nesmith, Saben Lee and Scotty Pippen Jr.). Stackhouse also reeled in a top-25 recruiting class (247Sports) in 2022, and the 2023 class currently sits within the top 35.

“I would like to recognize and thank our Board of Trust, Chancellor Diermeier, our AD Dr. Candice Storey Lee, my staff, players, family and all the fans of Commodore Nation for this amazing experience thus far and for the opportunity to continue to lead the Vanderbilt men’s basketball program into the future,” Stackhouse said. “Stability and commitment are concepts in college athletics that are hard to come by these days. I feel very fortunate to be at Vanderbilt, where stability and commitment are part of our culture from Chancellor Diermeier to Dr. Lee on down.”

Stackhouse, who was floated as an option during UNC’s coaching vacancy in 2021, reaffirmed his commitment to Vanderbilt with the extension.

“I love it at Vanderbilt – Ramirra and I love living in Nashville and competing in the SEC. It has become our home. This program has a unique and storied history and includes countless legends such as Perry Wallace, who was a pioneering player and force in the SEC. It is truly a special place to be a part of, and we look forward to building on that legacy,” Stackhouse said.