IN PHOTOS: I want to “Soak Up the Sun” with you at Live on the Green

Sheryl Crow made us all “Feel Like a Woman” at Live on the Green’s opening night.
Miguel Beristain
Sheryl Crow performs her first song of the night at Live on the Green, captured September 2, 2022 (Hustler Multimedia/Miguel Beristain)

For the first time in three years, Lightning 100’s Live on the Green is happening at Public Square Park. Lightning 100 is an independent radio station in Nashville and a crucial piece of supporting local live music. A free music festival in Vanderbilt’s backyard is not something to miss. Thursday’s lineup included the Watson Twins, Jenny Lewis and, of course, Sheryl Crow. 

Crow last performed at Live on the Green in 2017. Now, five years later, she came to wow the crowd again. She opened her set thanking Lightning 100 for hosting and planning the event, urging the audience to continue supporting independent radio to keep music alive. 

Highlights of the set included some of Crow’s most famous songs like “If it Makes You Happy,” which hit the Billboard Hot 100 in 1966, and “Soak up the Sun.” Our favorites were “Real Gone” from the movie “Cars,” which tapped into some core childhood memories, and Crow’s cover of Post Malone’s “Circles.”

Also present at the show was Vanderbilt Professor Jen Gunderman. Gunderman is the keyboardist for Crow and an assistant professor of musicology at the Blair School of Music. She teaches History of Rock Music, a class students always rave about. An important member in both music and Vanderbilt history, Gunderman has made a lasting impression on Vanderbilt culture.