Four new restaurants added to the Taste of Nashville program

Vanderbilt Campus Dining adds Sarabha’s Creamery, Barista Parlor, Koi Sushi & Thai and Sweet Dots Bubble Tea to the Taste of Nashville lineup.
Alexa White
Graphic depicting various foods found at new Taste of Nashville restaurants. (Hustler Multimedia/Alexa White)

During the 2021-2022 school year, students got creative with their dining options after understaffed dining halls left them with few on-campus dining options. At the time, the Taste of Nashville program was a glimmer of hope that allowed students to use their Meal Money or Commodore cash at participating off-campus restaurants. 

This school year, four new restaurants–including three Asian restaurants–have been added. Additionally, five restaurants that were on the card last year have been removed. ‘Za Wood Fired Pizza and Qdoba closed their doors, while The Row, Wingstop and Flatiron have been taken off of the card. 

The four new restaurants are Sarabha’s Creamery, Barista Parlor, Koi Sushi & Thai and Sweet Dots Bubble Tea. Each of the new restaurants is located in different neighborhoods around the Vanderbilt campus: Midtown, Hillsboro Village, West End and Elliston Place respectively. The Taste of Nashville website is now organized by neighborhood, which makes finding the new spots easier than ever. 

Sarabha’s Creamery

Sarabha’s Creamery is Nashville’s first Indian-style homemade ice cream parlor. They opened in early 2022 and are located on 21st Avenue above Chipotle. Their menu boasts 14 unique ice cream flavors–Kesar, Chai Spice and Indian Coffee to name a few– and also offers various Indian snacks and drinks. Online ordering is available for in-store pickup or delivery, which sounds like the perfect idea for those hot days when you need a sweet treat as quickly as possible.

Sarabha’s Creamery serves up homemade Indian-style ice creams from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. CDT
Sarabha’s Creamery serves up homemade Indian-style ice creams from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. CDT (Hustler Staff/Ashley Monteiro)

Barista Parlor

Barista Parlor has eight locations in Nashville, with the first opening in 2012, and the Hillsboro Village location opening in 2021. Their menu has classic coffee shop staples like drip coffee, cold brew and pastries, but they also have a seasonal menu and even drinks infused with CBD. I stopped by last April and tried a seasonal special with vanilla and cinnamon-flavored coffee, and it was rich and tasty. The coffee shop environment is perfect for studying with bright colors and natural light, soft music and lots of outlets for laptops. They also offer online ordering for those last-minute coffee runs before class. 

Barista Parlor brews fresh coffee every day from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. CDT
Barista Parlor brews fresh coffee every day from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. CDT (Photo courtesy of @baristaparlor on Instagram)
(Barista Parlor)

Koi Sushi & Thai

Koi Sushi & Thai has been around for over 10 years at their two Nashville locations, the Midtown location being the most recent addition to Taste of Nashville. They have four large menus (lunch, dinner, sushi and to-go) with items such as green curry, tempura and several unique sushi rolls. If you want to watch the sushi prepared right in front of you, ask to be seated at the sushi bar. For a relaxing night in, try their to-go menu and enjoy the delicious food from the comfort of your own room. 

Koi Sushi & Thai serves up specialty rolls seven days a week.
Koi Sushi & Thai serves up specialty rolls seven days a week. (Photo courtesy of nowplayingnashville.com)
(Nowplayingnashville.com)

Sweet Dots Bubble Tea 

Located on Elliston Place, Sweet Dots serves a variety of boba tea-style drinks. You can pick the liquid base–brewed tea, milk tea, coffee or a specialty item–and add in either boba or fruit. Boba is having a shining moment at Vandy, as Campus dining implemented it at the Highland Munchie mart last year. Additionally, VanTea, a student-run initiative to make bubble tea more accessible to students, hosted a variety of pop-up shops in local Nashville restaurants in 2021. Bubble tea is the perfect way to have a treat from a different culture. My suggestion is the Strawberry Blossom, or you can make your own creation either in-store or through their mobile ordering service.  

Sweet Dots Bubble Tea serves boba creations seven days a week.
Sweet Dots Bubble Tea serves boba creations seven days a week. (Photo courtesy of @sweetdotsnashville on Instagram)
(Sweet Dots Bubble Tea)

Jorie Fawcett
Jorie Fawcett, Editor-in-Chief
Jorie Fawcett ('25) is from Tiffin, Ohio, and studies secondary education and sociology in Peabody College. She previously served as Managing Editor and Life Editor. When not writing for The Hustler, you can find her teaching, reading or pretending to study at Local Java or Suzie's. You can reach her at [email protected].
Alexa White
Alexa White, Former Graphics Director
Alexa White ('23) is from Traverse City, Michigan, and is double-majoring in secondary education and English. When she isn't writing for The Hustler, she is probably teaching, reading or creating art. After graduation, Alexa plans to be an English teacher and hopes to inspire kids to love reading, writing and exploring their creativity in all forms. She can be reached at [email protected].