Testing center closed Feb. 15 due to inclement weather, classes to operate on schedule

Undergraduates are instructed to forgo their first test of the week if it is scheduled for Monday, but should still attend their second test of the week as scheduled Wednesday to Friday, per Feb. 14 announcement.
snowy+weather
Snow dusts West End Avenue. (Hustler Multimedia/Claire Barnett)

The COVID-19 testing center at the David Williams II Recreation and Wellness Center will be closed Monday, Feb. 15, due to “significant winter weather.”

Classes will operate on schedule, and faculty members will notify students of any changes to class arrangements. 

“All faculty, staff and students living off campus are strongly encouraged to evaluate road conditions along their commute and to use discretion in choosing whether or not to travel to campus,” the announcement read. “Personal safety is the first priority.”

The Vanderbilt News announcement, released at 8 p.m. CST on Feb. 14, cites a forecast of “heavy mixed precipitation, with possible snow accumulations of up to 5 inches and possible ice accumulations of one-tenth to three-tenths of an inch” for the testing center’s closure.

The Nashville area is currently under a winter storm warning from 6 p.m. CST Sunday, Feb. 14, until 6 a.m. CST Tuesday, Feb. 16. 

Per an email Dean of Students Mark Bandas sent to students on Feb. 14, the university is currently monitoring weather conditions and will communicate updates to campus operations as needed. VandyRide shuttles were suspended this evening due to road conditions, and modifications to schedules for the Student Health Center, Campus Dining and Mail Services will be posted on their websites.

Undergraduates with their test scheduled for Monday should forgo their first test but still attend their second weekly test as scheduled Wednesday to Friday. Graduate and professional students, faculty and staff should postpone their planned tests until Wednesday, Feb. 17 or later in the week.

Essential staff should make plans to report to work if they are able to safely do so, in collaboration with their managers. Remote staff should continue to work remotely, with those working on campus not designated as “presence-based essential” expected to consult with their supervisor to determine whether to report to campus or work remotely, if feasible.

“Walk safely on snow and ice,” Bandas said in the email. “Take small steps or shuffle for stability.”