Feb. 19 weather update: testing center remains closed, campus dining schedule changes and modified library hours

Friday’s update includes changes to schedules for on-campus dining facilities as well as modified hours for campus libraries.
A student crosses a snow-covered street. (Hustler Multimedia/Claire Barnett)

UPDATE: This article has been updated to reflect the possible timeline for reopening dining tents and to reflect COVID-19 positivity rates for the past week.

Feb. 15-19 concluded with the university continuing to allow for in-person classes in addition to keeping the COVID-19 testing center closed at the David Williams II Recreation and Wellness Center.

The university announced its updates to its campus operations for Friday, Feb. 19, in light of snow and extreme temperatures through Thursday evening.

Classes will not be cancelled by the university, and faculty will inform students of any changes. Faculty members will notify their students of any changes to class arrangements.

Per a Campus Dining Instagram post, Branscomb, Highland and Kissam Munchie Marts will be open from 7:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. CST. Commons Munchie Mart opens 7:30 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. CST. Rand and Commons will open for continuous service from 7:30 a.m. until 7:30 p.m. CST. Suzie’s Cafe at Stevenson Center is open today during its normal hours from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST. All other campus dining locations remain closed. Allergen OrderIT meal service and Quarantine/Isolation Meal delivery will continue to operate today.

“One more shoutout to our on-campus staff, supporting the Vanderbilt community during this unprecedented week,” the post read.

The COVID-19 testing center remains closed for Friday, making it the fifth day this week that COVID-19 testing has not been conducted on the Vanderbilt community. Undergraduate, graduate and professional students will not be required to make it up this week. Faculty and staff who were planning to be tested today should postpone until next week.

“With proper mask-wearing, physical distancing and adherence to the university’s classroom protocols, transmission rates for COVID-19 remain relatively low,” a university spokesperson said in an email to The Hustler. “The positivity rate for the previous week was also very low and symptomatic students continued to have the ability to test at the Student Health Center which remained open during the week.”

Additionally, all campus tents remain closed until further notice, with cautionary tape placed around them following the collapse of one of the tents. 

“Workers will be on site during the weekend to assess the condition of and repair the tents with a goal of re-opening them next week.,” a university spokesperson said in an email to The Hustler.

The VandyRide shuttle service was not in operation Thursday evening due to weather conditions. The Acorn School will be open today from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. CST. Families were notified by 7 a.m. CST this morning of any schedule changes. 

The Central and Divinity Libraries are open today from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST, while the Music and Peabody Libraries, the Fine Arts Gallery and Special Collections are closed, per Vanderbilt’s website.

“All faculty, staff and students living off campus are strongly encouraged to evaluate road conditions along their commute and to use discretion in choosing whether or not to travel to campus. Personal safety is the first priority,” the announcement concluded.