Migas dish at Ruby Sunshine.
Migas dish at Ruby Sunshine.

Hillsboro’s home away from home: Ruby Sunshine

Ruby Sunshine boasts a menu chock-full of tasty comfort food that’ll almost feel homemade.

If you’re aching for a good excuse to eat out and de-mask for a while, look no further than Ruby Sunshine in Hillsboro. This brand new Southern brunch spot opened while we sat sleepily behind our computer screens at home dreaming of Nashville. Ditch the dining halls one morning and head to Ruby Sunshine to treat yourself to a comfort-food-filled, delicious breakfast.

Ruby Sunshine has great outdoor and indoor seating, facing the streets of Hillsboro Village. A backdrop of their Southern-inspired menu spans the wall, making it easy to find the dish that suits your mood. Their staff was extremely friendly and accommodating (and everyone was wearing their masks!). The overall atmosphere is cozy but also young and upbeat. You immediately feel welcomed by the warm yellow and red interior design and wallpaint upon walking through the doors and, to be honest, it was tough to convince ourselves to leave the homey space.

The menu is expansive, but not overwhelming. Whether you need some sugar to jumpstart your day or are craving something savory instead, Ruby Sunshine has you covered. 

Southern Breakfast at Ruby Sunshine. Truman McDaniel

Ruby Sunshine’s appetizers list is short, but all-encompassing of the best brunch starters. I shared a plate of the French Toast Bites, which are a must if you have a sweet tooth. They also offer bacon bites and beignets, a classic New Orleans fried dough delicacy. 

French Toast Bites at Ruby Sunshine. Photo by Charlotte Edmunds

For my main course, I ordered the Eggs Cochon—a meal that consisted of eggs benedict on a biscuit with pork and hollandaise sauce. It was enough to keep me full for the rest of the day, but so worth it. My friend got the classic buttermilk pancakes with a cinnamon swirl. This dish was the best of both worlds: the perfect consistency of fluffy pancakes paired with the flavor of a cinnamon roll. 

If you’re looking to avoid a belly bomb and enjoy something on the lighter side, you can also make your own omelet, order avocado toast, or chow down on the breakfast tacos. If you’re more in a lunch mood, you can also browse through their “Between the Bread” section of the menu for a burger or sandwich. 

Salmon and Avocado Toast at Ruby Sunshine. (Truman McDaniel)

In total, everything was fairly priced and did not put strain on my student budget, which made the experience even better.

As if the mouthwatering aroma traveling in from the kitchen isn’t reason enough to keep us coming in, the story behind Ruby Sunshine is even more endearing.  After mourning their home’s devastation following Hurricane Katrina, founders Jennifer and Erich Weishaupt decided to open their first restaurant in effort to revive and celebrate their community. The couple created the Ruby Slipper Café in 2008, pouring their love for New Orleans into its food and service. Since its birth, the Ruby Slipper Café has spread to 11 different store-fronts across the Gulf region, and now has continued its expansion to the Southeast with a new name: Ruby Sunshine.

Ruby Sunshine, a new and bustling Hillsboro brunch spot. (Hunter Long)

I will undoubtedly be returning to Ruby Sunshine soon to try out the rest of their Southern brunch specialities and escape into the restaurant’s warm, friendly ambiance.

Charlotte Edmunds, Former Staff Writer
Charlotte Edmunds ('22) can be reached at [email protected].
Truman McDaniel
Truman McDaniel, Former Multimedia Sports Specialist
Truman McDaniel (2023) is a student in the College of Arts & Science majoring in Environmental and Ecological Biology and Political Science. In his free time, he enjoys taking pictures, drinking coffee and watching movies. He can be reached at [email protected].