Vanderbilt Athletics releases strategic plan, announces locker room renovations

Weeks after assuming the role as Interim Athletic Director, Lee announced her priorities for Vanderbilt Athletics.

Vanderbilt Athletics announced its strategic plan in a 17-page file on Wednesday morning.

The plan, that was designed over the course of former Athletic Director Malcolm Turner’s tenure and completed in the first few weeks on the job of his replacement, Interim Athletic Director Candice Storey Lee, outlines the course of action for Vanderbilt Athletics for the foreseeable future. In addition to the plan, Athletics announced intentions for a “significant upgrade” to the Commodores’ football locker room, with construction expected to be completed in advance of the 2020 season.

“As a long-time Commodore, I know from experience that Vanderbilt is a special place for student-athletes,” Lee said in a press release. “I have made Vanderbilt my home for more than 20 years, and I can’t imagine a more exciting time for our athletics program. Today, we are taking the first of many essential steps toward a brighter future.”

Lee and the athletics office detailed five areas of focus, with each area encompassing several initiatives to drive execution:

1. Academic and Personal Development: Use our athletics platform as a model for the commitment to academic and personal development espoused by Vanderbilt University.
  2. Athletic Excellence: Optimize the ability of our student-athletes to win and consistently compete for championships across our entire sports portfolio.
  3. Stakeholder Engagement: Actively work with our partners across the university, alumni and the Nashville community through regular communication, outreach and engagement.
  4. Fan Experience: Raise the prominence of the Vanderbilt Athletics brand and deepen our community impact by delivering an engaging fan experience.
  5. Financial Performance: Increase self-generated funding by creating revenue streams and improving existing ones.

“Guided by the Vanderbilt Way, the Commodores bring us together, providing a shared touchstone for students, faculty and staff, our alumni and our supporters in the community,” Interim Chancellor Susan Wente said in the release. “The Strategic Plan for Athletics will drive and guide the future of our athletics program, serving as a blueprint for further success and collaboration.”

Under Turner’s leadership, Deloitte assisted in creating the strategic plan and Perkins and Will conducted the audit of all Vanderbilt facilities.

The complete strategic plan can be found here.

This story will continue to be updated as the Hustler receives more information.

Max Schneider
Max Schneider, Former Sports Editor

Max Schneider (’20) was the Sports Editor for the Vanderbilt Hustler. He has been on staff since the first semester of his freshman year, first as a staff writer and shortly thereafter as the Deputy Sports Editor. Max also serves as the host of VU Sports Wired on Vanderbilt Television and The Hustler Sports 30 on VandyRadio.

He majored in communications studies and political science in the College of Arts and Science. Max has had bylines on NHL.com and has previously worked for The Nashville Predators, The Players’ Tribune and Nashville SC. He has attended several events as credentialed media, including the 2019 College Baseball World Series, the 2019 NBA Draft and the 2018 Texas Bowl.

Max is a native New Yorker and a die-hard Jets fan still holding out hope.

For tips, please reach out to: [email protected] or find him on Twitter or LinkedIn