Osa Coffee provides a delicious alternative to Munchie Mart whenever you need a caffeine kick. (Photo by Hannah Haecker)

Hannah, Alexa and Joe: Osa Coffee Roasters review

Your new alternative to Commons Munchie coffee

Friends and fellow coffee fanatics Hannah and Alexa review Nashville’s new and lesser-known coffee shops in their column “Hannah, Alexa and Joe.” Alexa writes, and Hannah is behind the camera. Check back each Tuesday to find your new favorite cup of joe!

Nestled between Music Row and Edgehill is Osa Coffee Roasters. If you mistake it for a single-car garage, I don’t blame you– this roastery and coffee shop is really tiny. However, the beans that are ground here are served in 15 Nashville coffee shops and restaurants, including some of our favorites

Osa provides extensive espresso and brewed coffee options, all roasted in-house. (Photo by Hannah Haecker)

Beyond the roasting and grinding equipment that takes up about half of its interior, this tiny space offers brewed coffee, espresso drinks and pastries.

Hannah’s Order: Americano

Looking at the list of retailers in the Osa store, I realized I’d actually had and reviewed their coffee a number of times before. This time around, the first sip of my drink was bitter and I thought it would taste much better paired with something sweet– so, naturally, I ate it with the rest of my Grins cookie. Without the sugary pairing, I think it would’ve been difficult to enjoy the entire cup. Overall, I thought the espresso was decent and I think this latest visit demonstrates Osa is nothing if not consistent. 

Score: 3 out of 5 cups

Alexa’s Order: Brewed coffee

I needed a good jolt of caffeine, so I went for the good stuff: a regular 12 ounce brewed coffee. With high hopes, I was pretty unimpressed– it was very bitter and lacked any strong or distinct flavors. This was surprising because the beans are roasted and ground right at this location. If I went to Osa Coffee again, I would try an espresso drink instead.

Score: 3 out of 5 cups

Osa provides coffee grounds to 15 other cafés and retailers around Nashville. (Photo by Hannah Haecker)

You won’t be able to study at Osa Coffee unless you somehow claim the singular chair inside, just five feet from the bustle of the barista and grinding equipment. With that being said, Osa is only about a five-minute walk from Commons. Stop by after class to grab a cup of coffee– just make sure to get there before it closes at 5:30 p.m. 

Osa Coffee’s location is ideal– I wouldn’t be surprised to see a songwriter stopping by for a cup of coffee in the morning before a songwriting session. It’s also on the same street as Taco Mamacita and around the corner from Barcelona Wine Bar, two popular restaurants for Vanderbilt students. 

Osa Coffee is conveniently located near Barcelona and Taco Mamacita by Peabody’s campus. (Photo by Hannah Haecker)

Be sure to check out Osa Coffee next time you’re on Commons and need a walking break– it may not be the best coffee I’ve had in Nashville, but it’s better than Commons Munchie coffee by far. 

Despite having a somewhat bitter aftertaste, Osa coffee has a warm and cozy vibe that earned our stamp of approval. (Photo by Hannah Haecker)