Second-year in College of Arts & Science passes away

Imani Lee Edwards passed away May 30, according to a June 4 email from Dean of Students Mark Bandas to the Vanderbilt community. The details surrounding her death were not included.

Lee Edwards was involved in Vanderbilt Student Volunteers for Science, Scientific Immersion and Mentorship and the Vanderbilt Commodore Orchestra, and was active in the Black Cultural Center, according to the email.

A scholarship has been established in her honor at her high school, Benjamin Franklin High School, which will be awarded to a graduating senior intending to study biology. A memorial service will be held June 6 in Lee Edwards’ home town, New Orleans.

The full text of the email is below:

Dear Vanderbilt Students,

It is with great sadness that I write to share the tragic news of the death of Imani Lee Edwards, a rising sophomore in the College of Arts & Science. Imani passed away on May 30 while home in New Orleans.

Imani, who lived in East House last year, was involved in Vanderbilt Student Volunteers for Science, Scientific Immersion and Mentorship and the Vanderbilt Commodore Orchestra. She was also active in a weekly academic club at the Bishop Joseph Johnson Black Cultural Center.

We extend our deepest condolences to Imani’s family, friends, classmates, and faculty. Our entire community mourns her loss. Please know that support services are available to help you during this difficult time. Whether you are on campus or away from Vanderbilt for the summer, we encourage you to reach out if you need assistance.

Grieving students seeking assistance may call the University Counseling Center at 615-322-2571 to speak with an on-call mental health provider. Counselors are available for support in person or by telephone.

A memorial service has been scheduled in Imani’s home town of New Orleans on Thursday, June 6, at 10 a.m. at the Boyd Family Funeral Home located at 5001 Chef Menteur Highway, New Orleans, LA 70126.

A scholarship in Imani’s honor has been established at her high school, Benjamin Franklin High School, and will be awarded to a graduating senior who will major in Biology. Donations can be made at www.bfhsla.org/donate.

This is a very difficult time for Imani’s family and friends, and for our community. Please know that we are here to assist you in any way possible.

Mark Bandas
Associate Provost & Dean of Students