Women’s basketball signs five players for 2019 class

Photo by Claire Barnett

Coach Stephanie White will have more to be thankful for this Thanksgiving.

Today, five high school seniors signed with Vanderbilt Women’s Basketball for the next four years. The large class is talented and will alleviate this year’s depth problems for the future.

Four-star prospects Koi Love and Demi Washington lead the class.

Love averaged a double-double with 22 points and 12 rebounds last season as a junior at Lake Highland Preparatory Academy in Orlando. She is the 89th-best player in the country according to ESPN.  Love earned a spot on the 2019 Naismith High School Girls’ watch list for the National Player of the Year Award. Her versatility on both sides of the ball means that she could be a contributor as soon as she gets to Memorial Gym.

Washington, the 27th-best guard prospect according to ESPN, hails from North Carolina, but will play her senior season at New Hope Academy in Maryland. She is a 5′ 10” guard who can help Vanderbilt push the tempo next year. Last season, she reached the 1,000-point milestone for her high school career.

Kiara Pearl is the second guard in the signing class. Pearl led Louisville’s Eastern High School in steals last year and averaged almost 13 points per game. Like Washington, she also reached the 1,000-point mark last year. Pearl’s ability to defend multiple positions will be welcomed on West End.

Yaubryon Chambers of nearby Murfreesboro decided to stay home and sign with the Commodores. The forward has made the all-district team twice in her career. Her athleticism will help Vanderbilt get offensive rebounds to create more chances.

Kaylon Smith, a forward, rounds out the signing class. She is from West Palm Beach, Florida and averaged 11.3 points and 8.6 rebounds last year for Oxbridge Academy. She will help rebuild the front court depth that has been lacking in years past.