ARCHIVES: How to paint a cooler like a pro

The first weekend of fraternity formals is approaching, and the rush to Target, Michaels and Walmart for cooler supplies is underway. Even if you are not the next Picasso, here are some tips and tricks to get your cooler started.

Getting started:

• Sand your cooler for a smoother surface to paint on. Use heavy grit sandpaper to get the finish off. Follow with fine grit sandpaper to smooth the surface.
  • Prime your cooler before applying paint. Krylon Fusion is recommended.  If you do not want a surface of the cooler primed, use blue painter’s tape or plastic wrap to section that part off. If the primer does not bond, wash your cooler with dish soap and warm water to get any dust off.

Time to paint:

• Use acrylic paint. If you want to save money, purchase white and black paint to mix with other colors to create lighter and darker shades.
  • Glitter paint can add a fun, unique touch.
  • Paint pens will be your best friend. Use Sharpie oil-based pens for small details.
  • Attach a liquid glue bottle cap on a bottle of acrylic paint to paint small details.
  • Paint outside. Take some friends and head to Centennial Park one afternoon.

Right before you hit the beach:

• Remember to seal your cooler before you finish. Mod Podge is recommended. You can use spray or paint-on sealer. Minwax is another alternative.
  • Apply a few coats of sealer and give the cooler at least 24 hours to seal.

Tips and tricks:

• Trace your designs on tissue paper first. Place the tissue paper on the cooler and outline with a Sharpie.
  • If you accidentally mis-mark your cooler with Sharpie, nail polish remover will get the mark off the surface.
  • Look at dafont.com for fun fonts for your writing.
  • Use blue painter’s tape to create exact lines. For unique borders, use ribbon and Mod Podge.
  • Fill in the cooler’s grooves with spackle or clear nail polish.
  • If you are lacking ideas, join the Cooler Connection, a nationwide Facebook group. The group posts thousands of pictures and sayings for ideas. Pinterest also has boards dedicated to painting.

Good luck and happy cooler season.

This article originally appeared on www.vanderbilthustler.com on March 28, 2013.