Fombelle’s Food Finds: Hopdoddy Burger Bar

Corinne Fombelle, Assistant Life Editor

Cost (1-4): 2
Location: Hillsboro
Visual Vibes: Hopping and warm
Food Quality: Delicious

Even though Nashville seemed to have plenty of burger options before, Hopdoddy is a welcome addition that exceeds expectations. The burger joint opened in October 2017 in Hillsboro Village, a close walk from Vanderbilt’s campus. I wish it hadn’t taken me this long to try it because it has officially become my new favorite burger restaurant.

Originating in Austin, TX, Hopdoddy still manages to give a unique Nashville vibe to their Hillsboro location. Along the brick walls, large photographs on canvases display images of live concerts that feel very Music City-esque. Also, purchases of their Good Cause burger donate a percentage to W.O. Smith Music School, a local organization that provides private music lessons to local Nashville children. These factors gave it a community sense rather than a chain feel.

Although the line was daunting on the Sunday night I went, the wonderful food was worth the wait. While my friends and I were in line looking over the menu, a waitress designated a table for us to take once we ordered. An open layout allowed us to see into the kitchen while we ordered, giving an honest impression of the food’s high quality.

At an elevated booth along the wall, I had a full view of the restaurant, including the large central bar. The music adds to the happy, inclusive atmosphere; the place was packed with customers of all ages.

The parmesan truffle fries came out as an appetizer but were the absolute highlight of the meal. Served on an aluminum tray lined with brown paper, a cornucopia-like cone was piled full of these incredible fries. They were golden, crispy and packed with flavor.

I ordered the Primetime burger (see cover photo), a fancier option than the Classic because of its upscale beef, truffle aioli and more. The bun was gently toasted, and the different combinations of flavor were ideal.

Hopdoddy had everything I wanted from their food to their casual and fun atmosphere. The location is convenient and reasonably priced. The only possible drawback is the long wait time (the whole experience took about an hour and a half). I would definitely recommend this new burger restaurant.

Corinne Fombelle, Life Assistant Editor

Corinne Fombelle (’19) is the Life Assistant Editor for the Vanderbilt Hustler. She previously interned for the Nashville Symphony and is double majoring...